My Betta Is Sick And I Don’t Know What He Has Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Snarbleglarf, May 21, 2019.

1. Snarbleglarf New Member Member

I just recently moved my betta from a 10 gallon tank to my 40 gallon breeder community tank housing cherry barbs, green Corydoras, ghost shrimp and a female betta (I know that’s not recommended but both fish were very docile and never fought) yesterday I found a cherry barb dead and this morning the female betta had died and my male now has white growths on his face and I don’t know what it is or how to treat it, I don’t believe it’s Ich because I am not noticing any white spots on the rest of his body. I am still very new to the hobby so any advice is welcome!

Attached Files:

2. Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

From talking to a good friend of mines who breeds bettas you should never put and male and female together unless you are planning to breed them. They will fight and I didn’t know this also! I thought that they would get along fine because they were a male and female. Also here is the beginning of a set of videos that I really enjoyed and i like the way the owner makes his videos. He doesn’t use fancy things and he is also very successful in breeding different types of fish.

I think those white spots are injuries from your bettas fighting.
    And since bettas are one of the very few fish that breath air putting them in a tank that is high makes them have to swim from the bottom to the top to get a gulp of air. There are things you can place in your tank to give your betta a place to rest on that’s in the middle or higher towards the top of the tank. I would take out that male betta and place him in a smaller bowl and treat him with a general treatment medicine to help fix the cuts on his face to make sure it does not get infected.

Good Luck!

3. Snarbleglarf New Member Member

Thank you for the advice, I have seen others keep males with females together there is a video online also where there is 2 males and 4 females in a tank together which is why I decided to try it out myself. My male and female had been in the same tank for about 3 days without incident so I’m concerned it’s a type of fungal infection, I am constantly watching my tank to make sure they didn’t have any altercations otherwise I was going to remove the female and put her in my 10 gallon. My tank has a lot of large plants also including an amazon sword and Tiger Lilly.

It almost looks like the skin is peeling around his face which is why I believe it’s a fungal infection instead of an injury, and there was more of a white film around more of his head this morning which has reduced since then

I don’t know if it’s relevant but I also have pest snails which I have read the betta can eat and it can cause problems

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2019
  4. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

A few things. Yes males and females can be together if the tank is set up proper. Just 1 female with a male I don't believe would ever work. You need multiple females. Lots of line of sight breaks. And no a betta in a deep tank won't drown. Trust me the depth isn't an issue if it was I would have lots of dead ones. Pond snails aren't an issue mine pick them off the glass and eat them.

5. Snarbleglarf New Member Member

David1978, would you say my set up is ok or should I add more foliage?

Attached Files:

6. Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

I agree they won’t drown I was just trying to point out that they have to work harder from going all the way from the bottom to the top to get that gulp of air. It’s just easier for them to go from bottom up in a smaller tank. I should have made it more clear what i was trying to say and point out. Thanks for the tip and have a Great Day!

7. Snarbleglarf New Member Member

Thank you for the help I appreciate it!

8. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

Here's mine. They were in a 75 now in a 55 so still a 4 foot tank. I have 3 males and 15 females with a few other fish.  

9. Snarbleglarf New Member Member

Wow!! That is a beautiful tank! Thanks for the reference :) do you know anything about what could be making my male sick?

10. Snarbleglarf New Member Member

This is a better picture, I’m currently using fungus clear fizz tabs to try and help but any info is appreciated

Attached Files:

11. Snarbleglarf New Member Member

Some more pictures, it seems to have gotten worse from a few hours ago :(

Attached Files: