My betta is bloated (eats too much?)

Geena

I just noticed today that my betta is bloated, he does hover with my bottom feeders when they are eating and peck at the food on occasion. I try to get him away from them but I'm not always there the whole time they are eating because I feed them at night and shut the light off (realizing now that this is going to have to stop) Thinking that maybe I'm feeding them too much and he is scavenging for the rest at night because he has picked up the corydoras behaviors of nosing around on the sand.
Regularly he gets around 4 pellets, a tiny pinch of flakes, and 1 or 2 bloodworms switched up throughout the week fasting on Sundays.

I've had him since he was a tiny baby he means a lot to me

Attachments

• DSCN0135.JPG
    DSCN0135.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN0139.JPG
    DSCN0139.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0144.JPG
    DSCN0144.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 46

AquaticQueen

Are you feeding him all that at once in one feeding? I would stop feeding him the flakes. They could be a little bit of cause to the bloating. I would feed him this:

5-6 pellets (3 pellets per meal. Other 2/3 pellets for next meal leaving 9-10 hours between feeding)
Mealworms switched out for the pellets every few days. Same amount.

flyinGourami

What specific food are you feeding him?

Geena

Not all at once. I use omega one for flakes and pellets and the frozen blood worms are the kind you find at petsmart in the fish section. I also have dried ones that are hikari but I rarely use those and I have floral bug bites too but I rarely use those as he seems to favor everything else.

Geena

AquaticQueen

Not all at once. I use omega one for flakes and pellets and the frozen blood worms are the kind you find at petsmart in the fish section. I also have dried ones that are hikari but I rarely use those and I have floral bug bites too but I rarely use those as he seems to favor everything else.
How much are you feeding them at once?

Geena

How much are you feeding them at once?
Around 4 pellets or a tiny pinch of flakes. 1 or 2 blood worms. This is on different days of the week for Variety.

Geena

Are you feeding him all that at once in one feeding? I would stop feeding him the flakes. They could be a little bit of cause to the bloating. I would feed him this:

5-6 pellets (3 pellets per meal. Other 2/3 pellets for next meal leaving 9-10 hours between feeding)
Mealworms switched out for the pellets every few days. Same amount.
What kind of mealworms

AquaticQueen

Around 4 pellets or a tiny pinch of flakes. 1 or 2 blood worms. This is on different days of the week for Variety.
So 4 pellets in one feeding?

Geena

AquaticQueen

Oh ok no 1 or two bloodworms
Along with the pellets in a single feeding?

Geena

flyinGourami

Oh yes srry if this has been answered but whats the tank temperature?

Geena

Ok so what do I do fast him then what?

flyinGourami

Oh yes srry if this has been answered but whats the tank temperature?

Geena

Sits between 79-80

Danny002

I'd fast him for 3 days and if the bloat still looks the same try feeding him a tiny piece of the inside of a blanched pea (no shell). Moving forward, I used to feed by bettas (and will again when I get more soon) 2-3 pellets 4-5 days a week, and 1-2 bloodworms 1-2 days a week then fast on Sunday (water change day). My usual schedule is as follows:

Sunday- fast/ water change
Monday-Friday- pellets
Saturday- bloodworms

Occasionally they'll get bloodworms or brine shrimp on a Wednesday, but not super often.

Of course every fish is different and feeding will vary, but this is what I've found to work for me. Just as a quick reference: a betta's stomach is about the size of their eyeball, so use that as you will.

EDIT: I feel I should add that soaking his pellets beforehand can help constipation and/ or bloating. Some pellets may also expand when soaked so you can get a more accurate look at how much he's eating.

Fisheye

Yes, get him into quarantine. He needs to be removed from food sources. He gets no food for the next bit.
If he doesn't poo after two days with no food then offer him an eyeball sized piece of peeled pea only.
If after 3 or 4 days of no poo then it would be good to treat him with plain Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate) from Shopper's or Rexall.... The dose is 1-3 tsp per 5 gallons of water. Best practice is to start with the smallest dose on day 1. If no better and add 1 tsp the next day. If no better add 1 tsp the next day for a maximum of 3 tsp per 5 gallons. This is not a dip so he is safe to stay in this solution until resolution. Epsom salts pull fluids out of tissue and also act as muscle relaxant so if he's bunged up, this and the pea should help.
If he isn't constipated, all the better. He'd still benefit from fasting.
Do revise your feeding amounts/schedule as others have noticed.

flyinGourami

Agreed with Fisheye, i would give him a emsom salt bath.

AquaticQueen

I agree with bgntoc and all that was said above.

flyinGourami

Imo I would feed daphnia instead of peas since bettas are carnivores, although i've heard success with using peas. I would make sure he stays away from food for a few days and give him salt baths. If it works great if it doesn't i would feed him a small amount of daphnia(or peas i guess).

Geena

Okay thanks everyone I have a 5 gallon with the sponge filter from my 20 gallon going now have added stability as I dont have any tetra safe start which is what I like to use. Do you think this will start a cycle in it? And if so will it show up when I test or does the stability take awhile? I've never used it successfully I always use TSS for starting an emergency cycle.

mrsP

I agree with not giving pea, since it's a bit like giving lactose intolerant some milk to help with constipation. Works, but causes more harm than good for individual. Daphnia is good choise instead.

Geena

I agree with not giving pea, since it's a bit like giving lactose intolerant some milk to help with constipation. Works, but causes more harm than good for individual. Daphnia is good choise instead.
Ok great I have that

Danny002

Imo I would feed daphnia instead of peas since bettas are carnivores, although i've heard success with using peas. I would make sure he stays away from food for a few days and give him salt baths. If it works great if it doesn't i would feed him a small amount of daphnia(or peas i guess).
I didn't know about this, I guess I'll be buying some daphnia in the future!

kymob

I know this thread was a while ago but a few of my bettas are pigs and they get bloat I just feed them a pea. It helps them poop. peal out of the skin first then squish in fingers and put fin bowl. world great,

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Iverg1
Replies
Views
kinsey12345
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views