My Betta Is Acting Strange, What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MrPancake3, Apr 12, 2017.

1. M

MrPancake3 New Member Member

My steel blue betta fish "Blue" is acting kind of weird. He is normally in a 5.5 gallon tank, but I had to move him to a 2.5 gallon hospital tank when he got a mild case of ich. When I say mild, I mean 3 or 4 dots and a tiny splotch under his gills. He comes to the surface to eat whenever I come near him, and he is still pretty active, but a lot of the time he just sits in a large PetSmart spiky plant. I am using an overlarge heater to warm up the tank a little extra, but it has an auto-adjust feature. I do have a betta hammock, but he doesn't use it too often. Is this normal, or do I need to do something?

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Why did you move it to the hospital tank? If the fish has ich both the tank and the fish have to be treated. Also, what are you using to treat ich? The heat method works quite well with Bettas and you can do it in the main tank without harming the beneficial bacteria (I guess you know about the nitrogen cycle right?)
    Anyways, why is resting weird? Do you see any other symptoms like rapid breathing? Brown/pink redish gills (signs of nitrite/ammonia poisoning respectively)? Do you have a test kit? Do you know what your water parameters are?
    A pic of him would be helpful. I would also personally move him back into the 5 gal tank and treat him there.

3. OP
    OP
    M

thanks for the reply. i didn't medicate the water in the 5 gallon because i had tested the ammonia and it was a little high, so i decided to let it cycle longer. i also knew you could let the tank sit for a few days and the tank would sterilize itself of ich, so it seemed i could do both. i don't have a master test kit, but there are no signs of anything being out of balance with the tank. the gills look fine. i am using Marineland ick remedy. there isn't any rapid breathing, but he does gulp every now and then.

4. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

How long have you had Blue? You are in the process of completing a fish-in cycle? What did you use to test the ammonia?

Do you have a thermometer in the hospital tank? If you would like to treat the ich using heat, you will want to increase the temp to 86 degrees and keep it there for about two weeks. During this time, do partial water changes and thorough gravel vacs every 2-3 days. I'm not sure if it is recommended to use heat if you are also treating with medication. Maybe someone else can help with that.

5. OP
    OP
    M

thank you. i have had blue for 2 weeks and he looks pretty healthy other than the little bit of ich. i don't have a thermometer in it, but my other tank was kept at 78 degrees all the time and the hospital tank's water is warmer, but not a ton. i would estimate it at about 82-84 degrees. i use the API liquid test kit. I am not fish in cycling, i used a bio supplement. i have been doing a 25% water change and spot vacuuming every 2 days, and i am also using a little extra aquarium salt. in total i have probably added 2 teaspoons of the salt, and i am only using a little more than half the med's dose to be safe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice