My Betta is acting different

somethingsfishy12

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had my male betta (Kevin) for approximately 5 months now and he's never given me any problems. His tank is properly cycled, is approximately 78 degrees, he gets regular water changes and I use almond leaves to help with the Ph level. In the past week or so his behavior has started to change drastically. Normally he's feisty, active and loves to eat. For the past few days he spends most of his time lying down in his floating log and the other day I found him lying next to the log with his head out of water. Additionally, his mouth has been wide open for the past few days and I haven't seen him close it other than to eat. He's still eating and will occasionally swim out of his log but I'm worried because he's acting lethargic. I'm picking up an API water test kit tomorrow but if that's not the issue does anyone know what else it could be? He's my first betta and is dear to my heart so I'm hoping it's something I can fix. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give :)

Attachments

ArtFish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi,
Does he swim around fine? Does he sink or float mostly.
Does he have any sores on him from being scraped. (Any sharp objects in tank?)
How much do you usually feed him?
have you had any irregular feeding (over feeding) or lack of water changes lately?

my betta Had scrapes from jamming himself between rocks, we moved him into a bigger tank which he healed in, then I had a water problem where his sores got worse and now he’s in a small tank with clean water but mostly lays on the bottom of his log But healing.
I would get some aquarium salt (API brand is what I use) and add some into your tank.

OP
S

somethingsfishy12

Reaction score
ArtFish said:
Hi,
Does he swim around fine? Does he sink or float mostly.
Does he have any sores on him from being scraped. (Any sharp objects in tank?)
How much do you usually feed him?
have you had any irregular feeding (over feeding) or lack of water changes lately?

my betta Had scrapes from jamming himself between rocks, we moved him into a bigger tank which he healed in, then I had a water problem where his sores got worse and now he’s in a small tank with clean water but mostly lays on the bottom of his log But healing.
I would get some aquarium salt (API brand is what I use) and add some into your tank.

Thank you so much for replying! He can swim fine and doesn't sink and no sores that I can see. The white is part of his colouring, he's had it since I got him. I usually feed him 3-4 pellets 2x day or until he no longer shows interest in the food. I was away for a few days last week so I missed a water change but changed it as soon as I got home. I have API aquarium salt I'm just unsure how to use it. My tank is a 5.5 gallon.

ArtFish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I usually add how much it says in the instruction and just add it into my tank. Some people use the salt differently but just adding it in work for me. If your betta doesn’t seem to be really sick or show symptoms of fish illnesses I wouldn’t be super worried, but I would keep an eye to see if he gets worse.
Do you know of types of common betta illnesses?

New Threads