My betta has lost his color

jack

Reaction score
Hello everyone

since last week my betta start to lost his color in his fin ,
i don't know if this "fin rot" because there is no dark or red edges,
only little part of his fin became white...

i have 2 gallons tank with heater ,
i always used Water Conditioner
i gave him 4 types of food

So why this happens?

7.jpg

8.jpg

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Jack How long has your tank been set up and when was the last water change done? Do you know what your water test readings are(Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates) ?If you ever notice a problem a partial water change is always a good idea. sorry to ask so many questions but we need the information to help you and your Betta. He's a very pretty fella by the way

jack

Reaction score

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size tank is he in? Do you know about cycling your tank ? In the beginners forum at the top is a thread called 'articles for beginners" The Nitrogen cycle is explained in there. I think your tank is cycling and your betta is suffering from an ammonia spike.
Carol

jack

Reaction score
My tank  Size: 29X20X14

i think my tank is too small for all "Nitrogen cycle" setup  ???

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are those measurements in centimeters or inches? Even a small tank can and needs to be cycled. If it's not then you will have ammonia spikes that will eventually kill your fish.
Carol

jack

Reaction score
Its centimeters 

but i wondering how these betta fish live 2 years  in a small  jars without cycled ?
friend of my had 3 years betta in 1 1/2 gallons tank ,
and he just does water changes every week 100 % .

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you have a heater all you need to cycle your tank is a filter and here is one made just for desktop aquariums that are your size.  It is not expensive and it works.  I have used one just like it and it is a fine filter.  There is not any reason a small tank cannot be cycled. Your Betta just needs more room to move around and have fun in.

Welcome to the Betta board and you do have a lovely fish.

He does look like he may be getting a fin fungus of some kind and perhaps could use some meds but it is going to be difficult to treat in that small a tank.  Most meds are based on a dosage per 10 gallons and it makes it hard to use for 2 gallons.  What I would do is dissolve 1/4 tablet in 5 tablespoons of tank water in a disposable cup and give him 4 tablespoons of it.  That will be the dose for 2 gallons of a medication that is 1 pill for 10 gallons.  Some tablets have to have some time to dissolve so do not be too concerned if you have to wait a while for them to do it.  I would get the cheap kind of semi clear plastic cups to do this in so you can see when they are dissolved.  I would also get a set of measuring spoons that are only for fish use as measuring is important when it comes to medicine.  A good medication for this type of thing is Jungle Labs Fungus Clear Tank Buddies, they are available almost everywhere and they fizz in the water to dissolve so they are not hard to mix with the water.  They will make the water green but will go away when the medication is taken out by filtration or in your case by large water changes.

I would really encourage you to get that filter, but please do not be talked into getting a addititive like Cycle or Bio-zyme or StressZyme.  The only instant cycle is Bio-spira and unless you plan on getting a bigger tank, it will not be something that I believe you will want to do.  The others are useless and a waste of the money you would pour into them.  They may even cause you more trouble than they are help.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jack could you what part of the world you live in as all medications are not available all over. Thanks
Carol

jack

Reaction score
chickadee said:
If you have a heater all you need to cycle your tank is a filter and here is one made just for desktop aquariums that are your size.  It is not expensive and it works.  I have used one just like it and it is a fine filter.  There is not any reason a small tank cannot be cycled. Your Betta just needs more room to move around and have fun in.

Welcome to the Betta board and you do have a lovely fish.

He does look like he may be getting a fin fungus of some kind and perhaps could use some meds but it is going to be difficult to treat in that small a tank.  Most meds are based on a dosage per 10 gallons and it makes it hard to use for 2 gallons.  What I would do is dissolve 1/4 tablet in 5 tablespoons of tank water in a disposable cup and give him 4 tablespoons of it.  That will be the dose for 2 gallons of a medication that is 1 pill for 10 gallons.  Some tablets have to have some time to dissolve so do not be too concerned if you have to wait a while for them to do it.  I would get the cheap kind of semi clear plastic cups to do this in so you can see when they are dissolved.  I would also get a set of measuring spoons that are only for fish use as measuring is important when it comes to medicine.  A good medication for this type of thing is Jungle Labs Fungus Clear Tank Buddies, they are available almost everywhere and they fizz in the water to dissolve so they are not hard to mix with the water.  They will make the water green but will go away when the medication is taken out by filtration or in your case by large water changes.

I would really encourage you to get that filter, but please do not be talked into getting a addititive like Cycle or Bio-zyme or StressZyme.  The only instant cycle is Bio-spira and unless you plan on getting a bigger tank, it will not be something that I believe you will want to do.  The others are useless and a waste of the money you would pour into them.  They may even cause you more trouble than they are help. 

Rose
Thanks so much rose for all the helpfull information  ;D
btw i just notice a hole in my betta fin ,
so i guess it's fin rot  ???

jack

Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Jack could you what part of the world you live in as all medications are not available all over. Thanks
Carol
hi carol ,
i am from israel
I saw in the store near my house "sera baktopur",
is that good for fin rot ?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It would be hard to tell if it would be effective against finrot without knowing the ingredients since I am not familiar with the medication, but I do know that the very best treatment is clean water and a warm tank. You will need to get a Master Test Kit and at least test for the presence of ammonia and nitrites and nitrates and when they are present do water changes to bring them down to 0 for ammonia, 0 for nitrites, and less than 20 for nitrates. Clean water is usually one of the best treatments for any of the fin problems unless they have gotten terribly out of hand. It takes a long time for fins to heal so I am afraid what ever course of treatment you choose you have a lot of water changes ahead of you and a lot of care of this betta. Please try to keep his temperature at about 28C and change his water 30% about every other day routinely if you do not have the test kit. If the tank needs to have the gravel cleaned, get a tank syphon (they come in very small sizes and vacuum the gravel). The cleaner you can keep him and the more you control his temperature the sooner he can heal.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom