my betta has ick

1. Shireen Initiate Member

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Shireen. Sorry to hear that your Betta is dealing with ICH. Is the Betta in the same tank as the rest of your fish as stated in your aquarium information?

I would recommend raising your tank temperature to 84 or 85 degrees. Leave it there for two weeks. Do 2 gravel vacuums each week to remove ICH spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Warmer waters require more oxygen so I would suggest adding an air stone/supply if you don't currently use one. The ICH may look worse before it gets better. Ich cannot reproduce in temperatures over 82 degrees so they die off during the 2 week period.

If your Betta is in the same tank with your Gold Fish, the gold fish may have a hard time dealing with the increased water temperatures. It's hard to say for certain. However, if they are tank mates they all have to be treated.

Best of luck!
    Ken

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I am sorry to hear of your troubles, great advice from Ken but it is worth noting that ich is usually a sign of stress and it may be due to over crowding in your tank.

4. Shireen Initiate Member

The bettas are both in seperate containers. my tank has an airstone, should i just stick it in the bettas home? i dont have a heater because its generally very hot and heating isnt a problem, but its colder now. generally, the water temperature is around 75° anyway. but now its cold...

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Shireen, are you able to buy a heater or borrow one from someone else?

The reason I ask is that it will be hard to get rid of the ich otherwise. I know you can buy medications, but sometimes the meds will hurt the fish even more, and I think that this is especially true of bettas.

6. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Oh no, hope betta feels betta. If it is getting colder you will have to find a way to get the water temp up, cold water is dangerous to bettas. Perhaps in the meantime until you get a heater put a warm lamp on their tank.