My Betta Has Dropsy, Got A Few Questions.

Platyarelife

My little betta Ghost is over here looking like a sad rolly polly pine cone so I wanna get him fixed up asap. I am reading on Epsom salt baths and something it doesn't mention is the duration the Betta should be kept in there. It talks about doing this for a week or so but won't sitting in Epsom salt for that long kill him? Never dealt with Dropsy before, bring on the advice! Thank you!

DutchAquarium

If your all ready seeing pine coneing, your too late most likely. Salt in my opinion doesn't do any good either because of bettas weak immunity to it. You could try to save him with some marcyrn 2 and soaking his food in garlic, but dropsy is a tough disease because usally if you don't catch it right away, it's fatal. Sorry, to say but I've been breeding and keeping show bettas for 10+ years and when they are at this point, I believe it's better to put them down.

Platylover

An Epsom salt bath is a higher concentration that the fish should only be in for 10-15 minutes. Since he unfortunately had dropsy I suggest doing 2-3 baths a day. For what I’m assuming they meant by a week would be keeping Epsom salt in the aquarium. For this it’s a much lower concentration and you must adjust this after each waterchange. Here’s a good article on doing these-
Salt Baths

And if it’s any help this is how I suggest treating dropsy-
Dropsy treatment

I’m really sorry your boy has dropsy. I hope he can make it or pass peacefully.

Platyarelife

If your all ready seeing pine coneing, your too late most likely. Salt in my opinion doesn't do any good either because of bettas weak immunity to it. You could try to save him with some marcyrn 2 and soaking his food in garlic, but dropsy is a tough disease because usally if you don't catch it right away, it's fatal. Sorry, to say but I've been breeding and keeping show bettas for 10+ years and when they are at this point, I believe it's better to put them down.
Well that's pretty sad. Anything I should do to the tank if he dies? Just clean it really well? Kinda sad cuz this came on rather fast.

DutchAquarium

Just clean it how you would do any other disease.

Platylover

I’d disinfect it. I reccently did a hydrogen peroxide tank disinfect and it seems to have worked pretty well. I took all the plants out and bleached them as I believe the peroxide can kill them if left in while it works.

Platyarelife

He passed away around 3am this morning. This is quiet a shame that is progressed so fast. I didn't notice any odd signs until about 3 days ago. He's in the big Betta lake in the sky.

Platylover

I’m so sorry. may he swim in peace

The Rover

My little betta Ghost is over here looking like a sad rolly polly pine cone so I wanna get him fixed up asap. I am reading on Epsom salt baths and something it doesn't mention is the duration the Betta should be kept in there. It talks about doing this for a week or so but won't sitting in Epsom salt for that long kill him? Never dealt with Dropsy before, bring on the advice! Thank you!

You can do Epsom salt baths for up to 30 minutes. I just went through this and my little girl is actually recovering and really doing well so far. I would try and do the Epsom salt baths 3x/ day if he can tolerate it. Maybe start with 15 minutes and then increase the time over a day or two. That will reduce some swelling but won’t cure whatever infection he has.

I would start him on Kanaplex immediately and be prepared for more than one round of treatment. I would also buy some clove oil in case he does start to fail and that will allow you to euthanize him in a humane way.

My girl ended up going thru 4 courses of treatment and then had a secondary infection in her gill which I treated as well with Furan-2.

Someone told me that this would be the equivalent of someone having stage 4 cancer so odds are against him but if you treat aggressively and he has a lot of fight in him you might be able to save him.

If you can start him on Kanaplex right away and start the Epsom salt baths immediately and then just take it day by day and see how he responds.

Good luck.

He passed away around 3am this morning. This is quiet a shame that is progressed so fast. I didn't notice any odd signs until about 3 days ago. He's in the big Betta lake in the sky.

Sorry, I just read your last message after I sent my first one. I’m sorry to hear that he passed.

I would get some meds like General Cure and the others I mentioned and have those on hand so you can treat these kinds of infections as early as possible.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
julifhy
Replies
Views
tlb0680
Replies
Views