My Betta Fish Is Spoiling My Carpet Plants......help Needed

Naveen Kingsley

Reaction score
My betta fish is trying go inside the carpet plants and remove them...........how to stop it.....daily I need to remove a handful of hemianthus callitrichoides, my carpet plant

see the images as my betta always trying to get under the carpet plants. In the second image it already removed the plants. I have kept around 5 to 6 assassin snails is my fish trying to get to it. Its behavior seems to be odd. But it is always very active

Attachments

Danio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Naveen Kingsley said:
My betta fish is trying go inside the carpet plants and remove them...........how to stop it.....daily I need to remove a handful of hemianthus callitrichoides, my carpet plant

see the images as my betta always trying to get under the carpet plants. In the second image it already removed the plants. I have kept around 5 to 6 assassin snails is my fish trying to get to it. Its behavior seems to be odd. But it is always very active
He probably wants something to hide in, or he's bored. Put some cave-like things in there so he can sleep/rest in and swim in and out of when bored.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok, I did not have full carpet but I had some of those tiny plants on the bottom. My gourami was picking on them and taking them out. I found out he was trying to make a bubble nest and wanted to keep it together with the plants! Maybe if you have male betta that could be the case? I mean, spring is coming... I read that Betta males also do bubble nests

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tank is his house. He's going to do what he wants in there. Plus its SUPER boring in there with nothing to do. Give him some plants he'd like, driftwood, etc.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i would put more decor in for him especially something for him to hide in. he might not feel secure so he is trying to find somewhere to hide

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with the others a small bunch of floating plants and something tall at one end or the other, Val maybe?

But your carpet does look good.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is not Hemianthus callitrichoides, nor is it a carpeting plant. It looks like some of those online seeds, which basically lie about the species to sell cheap seeds and pass them off for an expensive, hard to grow carpeting plant. HC is much smaller than that and requires injected CO2 to grow, and is called a carpeting plant because it naturally carpets on its own by use of runners. These fake seed plants grow on individual tiny stems.

Not that it actually matters in your case, I thought it'd just be good to let you know. I agree with the others about hiding spaces, maybe some stem plants in the back or spider wood could create hiding areas

Naveen Kingsley

Reaction score
Yes I bought these seeds through Amazon which was told it's hemianthus callitrichoides......so what's the name of these seeds and will this carpet prolong or will die?......Help.....I love this carpet very much

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That doesnt look like hemianthus callitrichoides to me. You probably got peas or something and they will end up melting after a while. Sometimes plants will grow great like that for a few months, then theyll die off and youll think it was something you did.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Naveen Kingsley said:
Yes I bought these seeds through Amazon which was told it's hemianthus callitrichoides......so what's the name of these seeds and will this carpet prolong or will die?......Help.....I love this carpet very much
Nobody knows what they are. This thread has a post on page 4 that may explain it.

Do You Even Iwagumi, Sil?

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Naveen Kingsley said:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions......can I add an Indian Almond Leaf so that it can rest on that.....what say??
im not sure if it would work as a good hiding spot but it would add tannins to the water which bettas love

kim&marc

Reaction score
Naveen Kingsley said:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions......can I add an Indian Almond Leaf so that it can rest on that.....what say??
I say get a betta hammock that sticks on the glass all my bettas loved it! Also they seem to like having their own "house" a castle or ship but something they can hide in or sleep in. Mine love theirs, I'm not a fan of the plastic decorations but with my bettas I always give them their own hide out/house.
1525075000978.jpg
1525075035640.jpg

Platyarelife

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Betta love tight spaces and places to hide in. Especially plants. As said above get some hiding places.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom