My Betta Fish is Acting Odd

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by jerrythesurvivor, Jun 27, 2016.

1. jerrythesurvivorNew MemberMember

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me about how to help my betta fish.
    I purchased him from a pretty shady pet shop in town around August of last year and settled on him since he was the healthiest of the bunch.
    He has been through a lot with me, a tornado, a move, etc. I mean. He's a trooper.
    So I recently went home for a month, I left him in his tank doing a 50% clean before I left for a month with his filter and week long feeders where my find would check up on him every other day.
    When I got back I cleaned his tank again, however I probably did a 80% tank change and changed the filter because it seemed pretty dirty.
    He was behaving a little sluggish before the tank change and after the tank change it got worse.
    It appears he has some fin rot, in which I've given him treatment for.
    However, his current behavior is to stay in the corner completely still unless he begins drifting out or to hide behind the filter.
    He's been in this tank since about March, it has two live plants in it and two little caves for him to hide in.
    Currently, it's been around 82 degrees Fahrenheit, I've been trying to keep it down but I live in the south and my apartment just gets too hot apparently. He has a heater in there in case it gets too cold, it's just rarely on.
    I tested the levels of everything and currently the levels are:
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    pH 7.5/8
    Carbonate Hardness 80-120
    General Hardness 60-120

The stick didn't have an ammonia test on it, however, I did put in an anti ammonia tablet, so I feel as though it shouldn't be too out of control.
    Currently I am doing 20% tank changes every 3 days and adding a stress reducer pretty often.
    However, he has no external signs of discomfort other than a little blackness on the bottom of his fins so I'm not sure what's wrong with him. I
    I can later attach pictures if need be. I'm just worried about him. When the tornado hit my apartment he was about all I got out of there, he means a lot to me and has already survived so much.

Sorry this is long, hopefully someone will be able to help.

2. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Did you completely change out the filter? Did you rinse the media in tank water then put it back in? Did your friend do water changes for you while you where gone? It sounds like poor water quality if the nitrate is zero then your tank isn't cycled, is suggest putting some bacteria in to cycle it. Do you have a liquid test kit? The sticks are very unreliable. What size tank? How are you treating the fin rot? Sorry this is happening, but if it's poor water quality it should hopefully be easy enough to fix.:) welcome to the forum! By the way is your betta named Jerry by chance?
    Edit: forget the tank size, I see the tag now.:)

3. Witchydesign

WitchydesignWell Known MemberMember

You were gone for a month, hes sulking. I went on vacation for a week, my jenks sulked for days. I had to bribe him with pet ghost shrimp. He gets sulky without pets. Youd be surprised how emotional they can get.

4. AmberH

AmberHNew MemberMember

I would definitely invest in a good API water test kit. Those strips aren't always accurate. Also the ammonia level is very important. It should always be at 0. I would recommend 25% water change daily or at least every other day. Doing daily water changes will definitely help speed along the fin-rot recovery. Is his appetite still good?

5. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

How large is your tank? I suspect that the large water change caused too much of a change in his environment which can cause all kinds of trouble.

Did you test before or after the change? It's better to do frequent small changes to allow the fish time to acclimate to the new parameters otherwise the shock can kill.

6. OP
    OP
    j

jerrythesurvivorNew MemberMember

He seems to be sulking right now.
    I rinsed the new filter in water and covered it in API's Betta Water Conditioner before putting it into the tank.
    Lately I've been treating his tank about once a day with a few drops of Stress Zyme.
    I've been doing 2-3 day water changes of 20/25%. Just the biggest container I have so I can fill it and let it sit for a few hours before the change.
    Currently the fin rot is being treated with a 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt because I wanted to keep it minimal even though it suggested a tablespoon for my tank and API's Bettafix.
    Since adding the stuff to the tank he's settled at the bottom and is sleeping in a little corner between the plant and the wall.
    I definitely will try to invest in a liquid tester, however currently I've spent 25$ on various medications for him this week and trying to keep it cheap.
    Also, his name is Jerry. Jerry the Survivor has become a joke among my friends because he survived a tornado which isn't something most house fish do.

jerry.jpg
    That is him currently.

7. OP
    OP
    j

It's a 5 gallon tank. And normally I try to change a little at a time, but I had been away so long I felt it necessary to change more.
    I felt really bad after I realized how bad it was. D'=

8. Aquaphobia

Do you add the water conditioner to the new water with every water change? When did you change the filter and how often do you change it? Unless there's filter media left in the tank all the time you've likely lost your cycle and he'll need the water conditioner for protection from the chemicals and wastes in his water.

9. OP
    OP
    j

I add water conditioner with every change, following the directions on the bottle for the size of the container I use. I currently have two different conditioners I am using. One that adds bacteria/slime coat and another that reduces stress for the betta.
    I also add a little more water conditioner to the tank just in case with each water change.
    The filter was changed for the first time since buying the tank in March one week ago today.

10. Flowingfins

FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to the forum:)
    I would be doing daily water changes of 25-50%.
    I don't recommend using AQ salt. If used too long or overdosed it can cause liver and kidney failure. Bettafix(along with pimafix and melafix) can be fatal for bettas. They contain melaleuca oil, which causes the labyrinth organ to expand, this suffocating your fish.

Clean water is all he needs.

11. OP
    OP
    j

I don't plan to continue to do salt treatments. I will ensure not to add more bettafix. However, I will start doing daily water changes. Should I take him out when doing changes or leave him in? He seems to get a little panicked when I pour water in, but he's also panicked when I take him out so I don't know what's more stressful for him.

12. Flowingfins

FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

I would leave him in, using a small cup to gently pour the water in might help.

13. OP
    OP
    j

Alright! That is a great suggestion, thank you.
    I will fill the container with water now to prep for tomorrow. I like to leave it at room temperature for a while so it's around the same temperature as the tank.

I feel crazy fretting this much over a fish I paid $6 for, however he really is my friend.

14. Witchydesign

WitchydesignWell Known MemberMember

I use a plastic measuring cup, mines handle isnt closed so jenks (or whatever fish at the time) goes in it and i just hang it on the side of the tank in the water. I also use it for acclimations because the bags fish come in bother me. But that would work for his water changes too. Jenks just swims on in but hes a wierd betta by most standards.

15. Aquaphobia

What's the temperature of his tank?

16. OP
    OP
    j

Right now it's at 81 degrees Fahrenheit. I try to keep my AC pretty minimal because I'm currently in graduate school, so sometimes it gets to 83 degrees when it's a hot day out.
    Unfortunately I don't think they make a device that cools overly hot tanks. D'=

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice