My betta fish has a huge lump expanding by the day...

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by roundletters, Nov 30, 2012.

1. roundlettersNew MemberMember

Sorry if this is wrong or anything, this is my first time posting anything like this and I'm in a bit of a rush and found this site while googling...

My betta fish Larry has this lump around his gill that's been getting bigger and bigger every day. It's actually been there for a while, but it's been getting bigger over the last couple weeks. He's an office fish, and we were told this could be happening because the office's temperature keeps fluctuating, so we put a little heater in it. But it has gotten bigger since the heater's been there, but he seems happy by the heater and eats fine and swims around. Before he had been solitary at the bottom. I also wonder could it be from feeding him too much?

Unfortunately I don't know anything about levels.. we change the water 1x a week about 75%.

Anyways, I'm worried because it's really awful-looking and is rapidly getting bigger. Could anybody tell me what it is and any way I can fix it? We've tried putting in this blue liquid but I didn't get it so I don't know what medicine it is, I just know we used it to treat pop eye at first. It's Friday at 5 so I'm about to go home but just worried..

I've attached pictures so I hope this helps.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!!

larry 008.jpg

larry 006.jpg

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hi! Welcome to FishLore!!

I guess first thing I would ask is will he be alone over the weekend?
    Can you take him home with you?

How long have you had him?

Often times bettas develop lumps that can't be explained.

He really should be in something bigger (at least 2.5 to 5 gallons) not only so he can move around but that can be heated in a consistant manner.

The water shouldn't be too bad since you change it so often.

3. OP
    OP
    r

roundlettersNew MemberMember

Hi Lucy - unfortunately yes he's alone for the weekend and I couldn't take him home :(

We've had him for 14 or 15 months, I believe.

Thanks for the tip on the bigger tank. I hope that can help. It's just so concerning how this thing got so big so quickly..!

4. Lucy

This should help with his future care:
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/mar08/betta-tank-setup.htm

Although I mentioned tank size I'm not sure that is the cause for the lump.
    Genetics could also play a role.

Is that a little filter or bubbler he has?
    Just curious. :)

Bettas are jumpers so be wary of that.

I could suggest wrapping a towel around his vase to help keep the water warm but again, I'm not sure temps would cause a lump.

Sorry, really not much help.

5. OP
    OP
    r

No it's ok, it is helpful!

It's a little heater.

I can try the towel on Monday :)

6. Lucy

He's a beauty.

Boosting his immune system might help also.
    This can be done with adding a drop of garlic juice (no additives) in the water along with vite-chem ( a fishy vitamin)
    These won't hurt at any rate.

I have seen mention of epsom salt bath helping with lumps that are fluid filled but do more research on that.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions.

7. OP
    OP
    r

Thank you!! I will let you know.

8. OP
    OP
    r

This is Larry now... his lump has gotten bigger and whiter.

We've decreased the amount of food, and put some salt in his tank yesterday. We haven't got any other things to put in yet and don't have a bigger tank. =/

He still swims around happily, though..

larry new.jpg

9. Lucy

Thanks for the update.
    I was hoping someone else might have some ideas for you.

10. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Looks like it's all genetics. Nothing much to do but make him comfortable and happy. DEFINITELY a bigger tank. That is a prison. Betta are smart fish who deserve decent space. 3-5gals. Something with a lid as well, they are very good jumpers. Surprised he hasn't jumped already, most at least try. In a tank that small you should be changing the water 3 times a week, 100% each time to keep ammonia levels down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice