Help My Betta Fish Got Sucked Into A Hose

subchan

Reaction score
Hi,

In short: My betta fish got sucked into a hose three days ago. I removed him out but he is not swimming around since then. I am looking for any helpful suggestions in getting him back to normal. Below is a detailed explanation along with a picture of him taken today.

In long: Three days ago, my veiltail male betta fish got sucked into a very small diameter hose when I was removing water from the tank for a water change. Only his upper half of the body got sucked in and the lower half was still outside the hose. I panicked and pulled him out immediately within around 10 seconds by catching his lower half of the body. I am sure that I squeezed his lower half of the body in the process, and also damaged his tail.

Overall this is what I see now:
1) He is breathing but unable to swim now. He is lying on various spots of the tank bottom throughout the day since past 2-3 days. I did not see him swim at all during these days.
2) His tail is gone more than 50-60%, i.e, only a very small tail is remaining.
3) His top fin is sheared off the body, i.e, around 50% of attachment of top fin to the body is gone. Also, I see (probably) some rot on the top end of this top fin.
4) His bottom fin looks fine.

This is a 10-gallon well-settled tank with a filter, a nitrate pad in this filter, a heater with present temperature, an air bubble which I currently set to only one stream of air to not stress the fish, a light which I switched OFF since last 2-3 days to not stress the fish, three types of live plants (water sprite, java fern and devil vine), and an ornament (kind of a hiding spot for the fish). I have only my betta fish in this tank. I did not do any water changes since this incident. I did not even feed my fish since then.

I ordered a HikarI betta revive from Amazon and am thinking of using those drops near the fish. I prefer not to move the fish to a smaller sized tank so that I do not stress him anymore.

Can you please suggest what should I do? And what should I avoid doing in this situation? I know it is my mistake. I feel stupid and sorry for this situation. I just hope he stays alive, recovers completely and gets back to normal. I also read a few other posts on this forum related to this. But I wanted to make sure of do's and don'ts in this situation. I also attached a photo taken today in case if it helps.

Thank you in advance !

Attachments

k9shrink

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm a newbie and can't help, but wanted to send my best wishes for your fish's recovery. I love bettas and had one as a kid that I trained to do tricks. Hope your guy pulls through.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
He's very stressed and you can't really do much but hope that he pulls through. If he can't swim, you should lower the water level to half. Make the tank dark to make him feel comfortable while he's vulnerable. If you have any of these, add either one of them in with him:

-Methylene Blue for therapeutic purposes to reduce stress, prevent infections, and help him carry more oxygen.

-Indian almond leaves for therapeutic purposes to reduce stress and as an antimicrobial.

-Stressguard for therapeutic purposes to reduce stress, prevent infections, and promote healing.

Sometimes though the stress can be too much and he may not make it.

OP
S

subchan

Reaction score
k9shrink said:
I'm a newbie and can't help, but wanted to send my best wishes for your fish's recovery. I love bettas and had one as a kid that I trained to do tricks. Hope your guy pulls through.
Thanks, k9shrink!

Repolie said:
He's very stressed and you can't really do much but hope that he pulls through. If he can't swim, you should lower the water level to half. Make the tank dark to make him feel comfortable while he's vulnerable. If you have any of these, add either one of them in with him:

-Methylene Blue for therapeutic purposes to reduce stress, prevent infections, and help him carry more oxygen.

-Indian almond leaves for therapeutic purposes to reduce stress and as an antimicrobial.

-Stressguard for therapeutic purposes to reduce stress, prevent infections, and promote healing.

Sometimes though the stress can be too much and he may not make it.
Thanks for the suggestions, Repolie. I am getting a Stressguard tomorrow. I will follow your suggestions and hope for the best.

FishWithTim

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You must of grabbed the thing hard man, as another person said lower the water to half so the betta can get to the top easily. Medicate as soon as you get the medication. You shouldn't have to grab so hard just do it gently and make sure the hose isn't still sucking water. Good luck! Keep us updated on the recovery process.

FishFor2018

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
He dose look very stressed and pretty bad. I think Indian almond leaves would be your best bet as it makes betta’s feel comfortable, relives stress, and promotes healing. If you have or can easily get a breeder box put him in that so he can reach the surface easier. It may be best to cover the tank in towels or dark sheets. Hope he feels better!

JupiterBeauty

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Iverg1 said:
He also has dropsy sighs. Treatment is 1 tablespoon of espom salt to a gallon. With some furan 2 and Kanaplex I believe. Rtessy and Gypsy13 have more experience than I
I'm sorry, but what dropsy signs? To me he doesn't show any (no boating, no pineconing...)

I hope he has a speedy recovery! As others have said, lower the water level a bit and keep stress down. Use the betta revive that you ordered, and if I were treating him I would also use indian almond leaf and aquarium salt as well. No need to use additional methylne blue (betta revive already has that) and stress guard is okay too.

Iverg1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JupiterBeauty said:
I'm sorry, but what dropsy signs? To me he doesn't show any (no boating, no pineconing...)

I hope he has a speedy recovery! As others have said, lower the water level a bit and keep stress down. Use the betta revive that you ordered, and if I were treating him I would also use indian almond leaf and aquarium salt as well. No need to use additional methylne blue (betta revive already has that) and stress guard is okay too.
Oh sorry I should have been more specific. In the picture he's pinconing slightly

OP
S

subchan

Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I think my fish looks a tiny bit better than yesterday. He is swimming lightly to switch places on the tank bottom from time to time. I have a feeling that his tail has become a bit smaller than yesterday though. I hope he gets better soon. I attached a few pictures of him taken today.

He also swam to the front glass when I went near the tank. I fed him a very little amount of frozen bloodworms. He ate them right away. Query: Is it OK to feed him on a daily basis like I used to do before this incident?

My tank is an Aqueon 10-gallon kit. So it has an overhead filter (on the top of the tank) and a lid. I removed around 2.5 gallons of water from this 10-gallon tank. There is too much turbulence in the tank already due to water flow from the filter. So I put some dampening mechanism in place to reduce the turbulence a bit. Since the tank has a lid and the lights are off, it is relatively dark in the tank. Hopefully, it will make my fish feel a bit safer and less stressed.

SeaChem StressGuard is on the way. I will add it to the tank directly once I get it. I added Betta Revive just a while ago. Betta Revive is a very small bottle which is very much insufficient for a 10-gallon tank. So I added 1 gallon equivalent of Betta Revive to around 7.5 gallons of water in the tank. I mixed it with some tank water outside the tank and slowly pumped it into the tank.

Any other ideas are very much welcome possibly other than moving the fish to a smaller tank which will only give him more stress.

Attachments

BeginnerSnailKeeper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
k9shrink said:
Umm.. how did you train the fish? Because i'm thinking about getting a betta, and tricks would be cool.

OP
S

subchan

Reaction score
Iverg1 said:
Oh sorry I should have been more specific. In the picture he's pinconing slightly
Thank you! I will keep an eye on him to notice if he shows more dropsy signs. He looks fine for now. Also, I think the Betta Revive should help with treating dropsy.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I can't see if he's pinconing in the pictures or not, so I can't say for sure if he has dropsy. Keep doing what you're doing. If he's willing to eat, feed little by little until you get to his normal diet.

OP
S

subchan

Reaction score
Repolie said:
I can't see if he's pinconing in the pictures or not, so I can't say for sure if he has dropsy. Keep doing what you're doing. If he's willing to eat, feed little by little until you get to his normal diet.
Sounds good! Will do, thanks!

OP
S

subchan

Reaction score
Iverg1: I have been observing my betta for more signs of dropsy. He did not show any sign so far. It is likely that the photo is because of the top fin's shearing off the body or the rubbing of the body with the hose.

He is relatively more active and swimming more frequently right now. He ate his food well today. But he could not bite larger size food pieces for some reason. I continued the Betta Revive treatment with around 2-gallon water change.

Can someone please check the attached photos and identify if he has some disease near his tail? I am wondering what exactly is going on where his tail is attached to the body.

Attachments

OP
S

subchan

Reaction score
He is looking and behaving much better now. He is swimming and moving around relatively more frequently, especially in the last 1.5 days. He was unable to eat even slightly larger chunks of food until yesterday. But he ate such larger chunks easily and enthusiastically today. Also, he (re)started coming to the front glass whenever I go near the aquarium.

Of course, he is not completely the same as before the incident. I think it will take weeks, probably months, for him to grow back his tail & top fin and start swimming like earlier. I can see on his face that he is unhappy. But I am hopeful that he will recover soon and start being happy again.

At first, I used HikarI Betta Revive for four days. Then, I used SeaChem StressGuard for two days. I got a fresh package of Betta Revive again today. I plan to use it for three more days making it a total of seven-day dosage. Then, I plan to use StressGuard if required. Attached is his latest photo that was taken today.

Thank you all once again for giving helpful suggestions and sending your wishes.

Attachments

Aquilist

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He certainly looks better. There doesn't seem to be much fluff on his tail from Monday, however, I do believe he still has a fungal infection in his tail. Fungal Infection - Bettaboxx take a look at this link.

OP
S

subchan

Reaction score
Aquilist said:
He certainly looks better. There doesn't seem to be much fluff on his tail from Monday, however, I do believe he still has a fungal infection in his tail. Fungal Infection - Bettaboxx take a look at this link.
Thank you! Yes, the white fluffy stuff near tail/body joint looks like a fungal infection. Luckily, the Betta Revive also treats fungal infections. So I will keep checking my fish to see how the treatment goes and act accordingly.

New Threads