5 Gallon Tank My Betta fish (Gordon) doesn’t eat as much as my other Betta fish (Simon)

BettaBoy2457

Hello! So, I recently got two new Betta fish (Simon & Gordon) and I've noticed that Gordon doesn’t eat as much as Simon does. It is most likely worth mentioning that the lady at the pet store told us that it was a male and female, so we put them in the same tank. I pointed out (to my parents) that Amber (who is now Simon) looked like he was nibbling Gordon’s fins, and Gordon was doing the same to Amber/Simon. We eventually separated them in two different small tanks. 5 gallons each. Anyway, Simon instantly rushes up to his food while Gordon doesn’t. For some reason he eats when everyone has left the room. It’s worth noting that Gordon is a Blue Betta and Simon is an Orange Betta. Is this normal? Do I need to do a disease check? These are my first ever fish and I don’t want them to die within the first 4 days.

TL;DR Gordon is eating less than Simon. Both nibbled each other’s fins before being separated into 2 different 5 gallon tanks. Is something wrong with Gordon?

BigManAquatics

Not all bettas do things the same way. The fact they are both eating is a good thing. Some absolutely DESTROY the food as soon as it hits the water, some take their time.

Upvote 1

BettaBoy2457

Not all bettas do things the same way. The fact they are both eating is a good thing. Some absolutely DESTROY the food as soon as it hits the water, some take their time.
Oh ok! I thought it was because of the fin nibbling. Never considered they’d have two different routines, as I always thought he was scared of Simon (he looked miserable in the other tank) but this does make sense!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Oh ok! I thought it was because of the fin nibbling. Never considered they’d have two different routines, as I always thought he was scared of Simon (he looked miserable in the other tank) but this does make sense!
Suppose ot could play into it if they bad enough, but i havent had fin issues yet affect appetite with any of my bettas.

Upvote 1

ValkyrieLips

Male and female bettas should never be kept together long term, only for short periods when breeding. If you posted pictures of them both we could sex them for you. Stress can affect a fish's appetite so a bullied fish will be less likely to eat. However, if this is how he eats when he is in his own tank then I'm inclined to agree that it's just how he is. My own betta takes his sweet time eating and I have to use tongs to encourage him to eat more. He prefers not to have to swim to the surface for his food.. so lazy for a plakat.

Upvote 1

BettaBoy2457

Suppose ot could play into it if they bad enough, but i havent had fin issues yet affect appetite with any of my bettas.
It could, but they seem to be doing good after separating them. Now Gordon isn’t miserable anymore, but still takes his time to eat, but the fact that he isn’t miserable is a plus!

“Male and female bettas should never be kept together long term, only for short periods when breeding. If you posted pictures of them both we could sex them for you. Stress can affect a fish's appetite so a bullied fish will be less likely to eat. However, if this is how he eats when he is in his own tank then I'm inclined to agree that it's just how he is. My own betta takes his sweet time eating and I have to use tongs to encourage him to eat more. He prefers not to have to swim to the surface
for his food.. so lazy for a plakat.”

By sex, do you mean identify their gender? (I’m still a beginner so I haven’t come across that term before.) But if that is what it means, then I’ll put some pictures here (sorry for bad lighting, these were taken at night):

Attachments

• 99F2E5DB-CB40-4878-9ED4-7DA39FA2281D.jpeg
    99F2E5DB-CB40-4878-9ED4-7DA39FA2281D.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 4E93B9D2-A863-4695-BA6B-324D004B9CA8.jpeg
    4E93B9D2-A863-4695-BA6B-324D004B9CA8.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 65A472DD-5339-4846-9DCD-AA14A80D3D22.jpeg
    65A472DD-5339-4846-9DCD-AA14A80D3D22.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 10
  • BD43BC0A-0D06-4226-8761-0A5BA5C87B0C.jpeg
    BD43BC0A-0D06-4226-8761-0A5BA5C87B0C.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Yes, gender is exactly what is meant when sex is mentioned.

Upvote 0

BettaBoy2457

Yes, gender is exactly what is meant when sex is mentioned.
Oh ok. I’m still kinda new. I’m pretty sure their both male but those are the pictures of them so please, feel free to take a look! :)

Upvote 0

ValkyrieLips

The blue veiltail is 100% a male. And the red betta is probably female. Do you know how old the red one is? Are they still in the same tank? They will literally kill each other. Fish keeping isn't put fish in water. Please ask for help if you are in over your head.

Upvote 0

BettaBoy2457

Do you know how old the red one is?
No, I got them both 4 days ago and the petstore lady never told me the age
Are they still in the same tank? They will literally kill each other.
Nah we moved them into different tanks approx 2 days ago
Fish keeping isn't put fish in water.
I know, as I said these are kinda old pictures. It took me 2 days to convince my parents they were trying to kill each other. I literally had to recite an entire article on flaring to convince them :confused:

Upvote 0

bettasXD

Whether the red one is or is not a female, i think you should keep both in separate tanks as either way, they might/will fight.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mamastacia3
  • Question
Replies
Views
t0bias
  • Question
Replies