My Betta Finley!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by FinleyTheBetta, Apr 16, 2017.

1. FinleyTheBetta

FinleyTheBetta New Member Member

Hi, I just started caring for a betta fish I won from the fair, when I first got him he looked horrible, I got him a two gallon tank after keeping him in an old tiny tank. He has some black coloration on his body, not sure what it is, but it's gone away significantly. I got him an anubias for him to hide and hang around, my feeding schedule has been a bit messed up, but I've established one today. Does he look healthy?

Attached Files:

2. bakpau

bakpau Valued Member Member

I think the black color has to do with ammonia burns. Water changes in a small tank has to be done daily. But im not too sure though. Maybe other people in this forum can help

3. OP
    OP
    FinleyTheBetta

So, I might have to change the water daily? The 2 gallon tank came with a filter.

4. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would probably get him some things to hide in. Bushier plants, a floating log, something like that.

Most of us agree here that the minimum size a betta should be in is 2.5 gallons, but 5 gallons is preferred.

You will need to do water changes frequently in a 2 gallon. Every few days. I would do 50% of the water volume every 3rd day, if I was you.

How are you with the nitrogen cycle? What type of filter do you have? Do you have a heater? You are starting where most of us started with caring for our fish. Now it's time to play catch up.

5. TiqToq

TiqToq Valued Member Member

I'd just like to mention that the anubias' rhizome (the green lumpy part at the very bottom of the stems that has the roots attached) needs to be fully exposed to the water and not hidden by any substrate to survive. I had to recently lift mine out further out of the gravel because apparently even a bit of the rhizome under the gravel is a no go. The roots had started to become fuzzy and leaves were dying.

If any roots poke out that's no problem. It won't hurt the fish nor the plant. :)

6. bakpau

bakpau Valued Member Member

Daily partial water change, around 25% daily should be fine. Or as alliesten mentioned, 50% every other day. Dont forget to add water conditioner too, as the tap water might contain chlorine & other heavy metals which can harm your fish

7. OP
    OP
    FinleyTheBetta

I have the filter that came with the tank, and the current isn't strong, and he has no trouble around the filter. I am getting a heater for him soon, and I'm not very familiar with the nitrogen cycle.

8. OP
    OP
    FinleyTheBetta

Yes, I have a water conditioner, it's this brand Betta H2) Conditioner. Would changing the water every other day stress him out too much? I got this aquarium kit from top fin underwater intrigue.
    It doesn't state how strong the filter is.

9. OP
    OP
    FinleyTheBetta

H2O*

10. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Hello! :)

Doing 25% everyday or 50% every other day would be great. Just doing what you have been doing with water changes, and since it's such a small tank, you really need to be consistent with water changes. :) He does look like he's starting to heal up nicely! Adding floating plants would be really nice for him. I have Pothos Ivy in all of my betta aquariums and they totally love them! Would highly recommend them.

11. OP
    OP
    FinleyTheBetta

Okay, how should I place the anubias then?

12. OP
    OP
    FinleyTheBetta

Sure, I'll try and get him some Pothos Ivy! Do they have some at PetCo or PetSmart? Those are the only pet stores in my small city.

13. FishL:))

I've never seen them in Petco or Petsmart but you can go and check. I got my Pothos Ivy at Home Depot. Have that store?

14. OP
    OP
    FinleyTheBetta

Yup, I've got a Home Depot, what section? My dad will probably question why I would want to go there. lol.

15. OP
    OP
    FinleyTheBetta

I don't have a siphon, can I scoop the water out and put conditioned water in? Do I take my betta out while I'm chaging the water?

16. FishL:))

Great! I believe they are in the plant section. You can look on their website or call to see if they carry them at your Home Depot. :) If they don't, you can order it online. I'm pretty sure they will have it though. :)

17. BittenByTheBug

BittenByTheBug Valued Member Member

Regarding the black marks on his scales - that just looks like he has some marbling, which is fine and normal. Just be aware that if he is happy he may change colors on you. He could get black patches, and it won't be sickness. :)

18. TiqToq

TiqToq Valued Member Member

I hear most people tie them to other decor in their tanks by the roots, but if you can get them to stay beneath the substrate by roots alone that is good. May take some finagling since roots are tricky little buggers. If it keeps floating up it'll survive that way too, and honestly your betta may actually enjoy it. I have one of my plants free floating at the top since the roots are in such dire repair, and my betta just swims through and around it. The large leaves near the top of the tank may be enticing as areas for the betta to rest too.

19. FishL:))

Hey! I did a pm to you of a good video on Pothos Ivy. :)

20. OP
    OP
    FinleyTheBetta

Thanks, I'll try floating it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice