my betta fighting and eating its own tail

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by ILikeFishies, Jan 1, 2013.

1. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

Ok i have no idea what my betta is doing. But i feed him pellets daily ,the right amount according to the label, and frozen blood worms 2 or 3 times a week. And just now i just took a glance at my betta and saw him slurp something red into its mouth . Then when i took a closer look, i saw that a big chunk of his tail is gone. what was that? D:!?
    Did he just fight with himself? or eat himself or something?

2. JustKeepSwimming

JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

Bettas can self mutilate when under stress. There are a lot of reasons they can be under stress, and also I've read it's difficult to get them to stop once they start.

I've never had experience with it personally but I would start by taking a look at the water. Maybe do a water change and see if the behavior improves.

You could post your water parameters and someone more knowledgeable than I could interpret them for you?

3. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Tail biting isn't uncommon in longer finned bettas unfortunately it can happen for a couple of reasons

Water parameters
    Nutrition
    Stress
    Boredom
    Sometimes they just like doing it like some humans bite their nails

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it :)

How long have you had him?
    What size tank is he in and is it cycled?
    How strong is your filter?
    Is it planted does he have hiding places?
    What pellets are you feeding him?
    What are the water parameters?

Sorry for all the questions but I ask for a reason :)

4. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Your profile says you have a 15 gallon and a 4 gallon is he in another tank?

5. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

yes he's in a 2 gallon, i just got it recently for him.
    Im not exactly an expert on reading water parameters but according to the paper,
    0ppm ammonia
    0ppm nitrite
    bellow 20ppm nitrate
    i dont have a ph kit >_<.

I just did a water change, There is a live plant in there but its very small and still growing, I have a small fake plant in there too

I've had him for about a month i'd say

I have a sponge filter for him

and the pellets im feeding him are vita gold betta pellets

6. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

I think he may be a little stressed I would recommend upgrading him to a 5 gallon or more if you can he will appreciate the space and add some more plants for him to explore and hide in :)

Maybe get him a little cave or something but make sure it's not got any ragged edges as he can snag his tail.

You could get him a betta hammock that he can use as a bed its just a silk leaf with a sucker attached one of my boys has got one as his tank is tall :)

The filter sounds fine sponge filters are perfect for bettas as they done like strong currents.

I've not heard of that particular kind of pellet if you can get New Life Spectrum they are pretty much the best pellets around :)

The action I would take at the moment with him is daily water changes only partial ones using a conditioner like api stress coat or seachem prime as this will help his slime coat and some bettas really enjoy water changes one of mine does the other not so much but he is generally cranky when I mess with his tank :)

I would soak his food in a little garlic guard or garlic juice (there is a recipe on here somewhere it has slipped my mind) this will help to boost his immune system and fight infection.

If you can put in some more plants for him it would give him something to explore :) and interact with him as much as you can both of mine get very excited when I am near there tanks its funny to watch.

You sound like you love him very much and he has a good betta mummy :)

7. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Links of interest above.

Best wishes for your fish. My betta Wriggley (photos in my profile) was a tail biter and then developed fin rot and nothing I tried worked and I lost the fish :(.

Ken

8. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

aw =/. Im sorry to hear that aquarist48.

I really do love my little mermaid :). Never heard seen any new life spectrums because but ill look around and see if i can find it, i have seen some API stresscoats but they are pretty costly for a small little bottle imo o.o. But ill see what i can do.

After the water change he seems much better now. Its just so strange to see him eating his own fins. I thought he must have been starving or something to actually eat himself o_O

9. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Sometimes they just do it for no apparent reason my late half moon betta Malcolm I suspect was a tail biter thankfully my two now aren't although that doesn't mean they aren't naughty ;)

Keep an eye on him and if you can get the stress coat it will help as it contains aloe Vera which will help with the healing process :)

10. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

So his tail would actually grow back :O. Does this work with guppy tails? I notice some of my guppies with nipped tails

11. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

As long as you keep up with water changes then his tail should grow back it will take time but I managed it in the past I had a betta that lost half of his tail due to ammonia burns and it grew back beautifully.

You can approach the nipped guppies with the same thing stress coat and water changes and if nothing else it will prevent infection and they may too grow back :) I'm not sure on guppies to be honest it's been many many years since I kept them

12. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

i did have this guppy with torn fins awhile back, and it was growing back bit by bit, but before it could grow back fully the guppy died sadly :<

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice