My betta died

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I keep a betta in my bathroom in a little 2.5 gallon aquarium with a filter. We had a female betta named Magnum (a little odd i know) that had been in the center piece at our wedding and had been living quite happily in her little aquarium. Yesterday i did a 30% water change and decided to add a few decorations to the tank. I added a little rock feature and a small silk plant. All was well for most of the day today and Magnum seemed just as happy as ever, swimming around and checking her surroundings out. Then my wife went into the bathroom this evening to find her lying on the counter, dried out, black, and stiff. She had jumped out of the whole that the filter cord runs through that is less than 1 square inch! I needed to buy a new heater for my 55, and i didn't want the tank to lose its cycle, so I got a new betta, my wife picked him out. His name is Ziggy, after Ziggy Marley. Is there anything i can do to discourage jumping? or any suggestions on thing to use to cover the whole? I have Ziggy's old cup he was in in the store sitting on top of that, but that is unattractive and impracticable (i really wanted to get more than one to help them out of their cups)

I will post some pictures of Ziggy and see if I can find some of Magnum in the morning.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Bettas are netorious jumpers, the only thing i can think of is perhaps use some cotton or something to stuff into the hole, but before you do that answer me this please how much space is there between the surface of the water and the lid. If it is atleast a few inches proceed with what I said, if not siphon off a little bit and then proceed. that should discourage jumpers. I'm sorry to hear about your little dude tho. Best of luck with Ziggy

Inari

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great advice and suggestions above. Just to add, that even with small gaps and holes, bettas are very smart to find all kinds of ways to make an escape for it even to try to fly! But so sorry for your loss. Lessons learned and try to move on with it with your future bettas Best of luck!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry about your betta
I use plastic craft meh sheets to cover gaps in my hoods.

Betta Food

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry to hear about your betta I too have a small hole in the cover of my tank. I should get something to cover it before the same thing happens. Thanks for the info.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have an idea

You can make a little cover which will clip around your cables and sit over the hole. Similar to the ones of office desks.

Cut a thin piece of plastic which is semi flexible (the dividers already mentioned would prob work) so that it's maybe half a centimeter larger than the actual hole (so it will sit easily on top) Cut a couple holes just big enough for the cables (need one hole for each cable probably) to go through in the approximate centre of the piece of plastic (I'd suggest using a hole punch to do this) then with a pair of scissors cut from the edge into the holes. At a straight line or angle, shouldn't matter.
By cutting the line from the edge to the hole, it means you can twist the plastic to slip the cables into it. Then you can just position the piece of plastic over the whole and pull or push the cables through so they're nice and neat.
That way it will fit tight around the cables, and also cover the hole properly.

Edit: if you find you can't get it to sit neatly on TOP of the tank (eg it keeps lifting) put it on the inside so when it lifts all it does is press up against the tank lid.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think I am going to use the above idea. It is really a good one

bettalover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Put a top on the aquarium only way to prevent jumping never had any of my betta fish jump out because I always had a top on the aquarium or wherever they were.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It has a top. It is a little 2.5 gal bowfront. There was like a 1 inch hole in the top

kelcylane

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my cousin put some of that mesh material stuff on the top of it. it looks better and her fish cant jump out so...yeah.

i plan on getting some of it to put on top of mine.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i'm sorry about your girl. i just had my PK male jump out! it was feeding time, i opened the little door thingy, reached for a pellet.....heard a noise and there he was, flopping on the counter! :O i was like doh! and said a bad word, in front of my 5yr old. ops. so i carefully got him back.

but yeah, use the mesh craft stuff on the holes in the back. i think the short finned bettas are especially feisty and jumpy! what kind is the new one?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Monmouth,

I hate that you lost your betta. I had a few jumpers prior to joining Fish Lore.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom