My betta contracted dropsy while I was on vacation

CoconutTheBetta

Hey everyone! I literally just got back from vacation. I came up to see my fish and she contracted dropsy. Ah, what a beautiful gift to leave me. I'm testing her water now and am about to turn her tank into a quarantine. She's lethargic. Her stomach isn't bloated but her head is. She's also pinecone and can't swim much. When she does it's erratic. She's also losing her color.
I suspected she had it before I left but I thought against it since I overthink a lot. If I have to guess, she's had this symptom for at least 2 weeks. The only "medicine" in her tank is an Indian Almond leaf.

I'm going to do a 75% water change. Then I'll dose with kanaplex. Should I also dos with API General Cure? Any tips? My other betta deceased around 3 months ago from dropsy as well. I know the survival rate is slim.

Rose of Sharon

So sorry about your betta! :(

I think that I would use kanaplex and add maracyn 2 if you can get that. And of course, the epsom salt baths might help a little.

One dose of kanaplex has something like 37% kanamycin (not 100% like you would expect), so dosing both might be more helpful, or increasing the dose of kanaplex might help, too, though some say that will hurt the betta's kidneys even more. Any med that fights gram negative bacteria is what you are looking for.

I'm not sure that the general cure will help.

Again, so sorry CoconutTheBetta!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cinabar
Replies
Views
CoconutTheBetta
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Bloated or dropsy?