My Betta Blog

1. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well, I got a Betta yesterday and his name is Tom Fish (in honor of a friend of mine). He's currently living in a 2.5 gallon tank, but I'm hoping to get a 10 very soon. I don't know a whole about Bettas yet, but I'm hoping to learn from him. Any suggestions on proper care for Bettas would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep this updated as much as possible.

UPDATE: Sadly, Tom Fish died and my replacement betta also did so I'm gonna take a break from them so this blog is ending

Attached Files:

2. Fighter56AndHisBrother Initiate Member

I commend you in your quest in caring for a Betta. Tom Fish is great name for a Betta. I am sure your good friend feels very honored and special. I look forward to your updates. Tom looks to be a beautiful fish. Good luck and good fish caring.:;hi1

I'll gladly give advice as you need it.

3. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Hey thanks bud, those are some kind words.

4. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Well, I bought a 10 gallon tank today! I'm working on setting it up now. Pics tomorrow for sure

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Nice! You've got a lucky little boy, there! =D

6. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

yeah he loves it! Last night he was swimming all over the place. It's not the prettiest thing yet, just kinda filled it with what I had laying around, but hopefully soon I can update it.

7. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

8. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

I'm very sad to announce that Tom Fish died today :( He got sucked into the filter. It was all my fault. I never thought he was small enough to get sucked up the tube and then I came tonight and couldn't see him anywhere. I finally checked the tubing and he was in there. I felt so bad :( I got the filter covered now and I took him back and got another betta in exchange, hopefully I'll do better with this one.

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Aww I'm sorry :;hug2

Its always a safe bet to assume that any small fish can get sucked up in to the filter.

10. Borisbbadd Guest

That's too bad, sorry you lost him.

11. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

thanks guys. Well, I have my new betta (ryko) in the tank and he seems to enjoy it. I also have 3 frogs in there who haven't done much yet lol. And I got the filter covered so they should all be ok now

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

What, no pics? :p

13. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Sorry about Tom Fish. :(

Happy about ryko and I really like your tank set-up. It's very original and interesting.

Keep us posted!

14. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Here's a few lol I only got 1 frog bc the others are hiding in the castle.

Attached Files:

15. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Ryko just keeps staying at the top rather immobile, so i'm pretty sure that means high ammonia/nitrites. I used cycled gravel and half of my whisper's used filter media so i was hoping I'd have an instant cycle, but it doesnt appear that way so I guess it's water change and prime time.

16. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Could just be that he's stressed, too. But testing the water, and doing a water change is a good thing to do, anyway with new tanks.

17. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

What can I do to lower his stress?

18. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

He just needs to settle in :)

19. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

Rykos condition is deteriorating rapidly. He's not moving and earlier he was just floating upside down when i poked him he swam for a sec. Idk what happened. Ive been water changing with prime and my readings were .25 amm and no2 so idk y he's dying

20. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Ammonia *needs* to be zero. You aren't dosing enough Prime to take care of the Chlorine, Choramines (assuming your tap water has them) AND ammonia. You should be able to go on line and get an annual water quality report from the city you live in. If not, call the water treatment plant, and ask them the levels of Chlorine, Chloramines, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate in the water. Ask for specific number, too, and what sort of heavy metals are in there. If they ask why, be straight with them :)