my betta baby jumped and was stepped on :(

1. Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

well, i got one of those baby bettas from petco 2 months ago yesterday. i just refer to it as a her.

she is in a cool looking vase until i thought she was ready to be in a divided tank with my other betta. i decided one 1 more week in the vase.

i was changing the water. i put her and the peice of filter media in a 1 cup, measuring cup. she had room to swim. i cleaned her vase out and was letting the temp equal out. i went to put her in, and found no fish. i hurried to see if she jumped out of the cup while carrying it. i found her on the floor shrivled up, and she had been stepped on

i am so freaking mad and i am crying at the same time. i didn't think she would jump. she was scooted back on the counter too. she must of jumped a lot to get to the floor.

my parents went to costco and I watched my little 9 year old sister for them. my mom came home with a new camera. i thought finnaly i can take a pic to post on here. if i had not changed he water today, i could of got the pic, and she still might be alive.

now i get to tell my sister when she gets up in the morning as it was sort of her betta, or a least she named her, chomp-ella.

she was getting really pretty to her fins were growing and she was getting color. when i first got her her little plakat fins were barely a pink sometimes, today, they were bright red and some of the fins were clear from growing. she had doubled her size too. she was still a baby though. it was really cool watching her grow for those 2 months.

i didn't think i would care this much about her. i put time in to feeding her several times a day. no theres nothing to show no picture with the new camera. now i am crying again. i am so mad.

so to everyone, bettas . i don't think i will get another one either, as i never see them there. i was lucky i found her.

sorry for ranting. rip my little baby. :( :;betta:;betta2

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

So sorry to hear about your Betta. As you have found out, they truly are jumpers. I have also lost a betta in the past by not having a top on the tank.

My Silver Dollars have also taken flight a time or two, luckily I was in the fish room when it happened. Red Tail and RainBow sharks are also great jumpers.

Ken

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

4. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's probably even more difficult knowing your sister will be sad too. Bettas are so easy to become attached to... they have a ton of personality.

5. Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

thanks for all the support.

she started to cry when i told her.

I was thinking, maybe get another and slip it into her Easter basket.

i would get it a couple weeks before though, to make sure it is healthy.

6. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Aww. I have lost 2 bettas myself from jumping and I had lids. They both got out in cracks by the filters. I have one left, the ugliest one too.

7. Brainlady Well Known Member Member

I am so sorry for your loss, we all get so attached to our fish.

8. nissan4life Member Member

awww what a sad story! Poor thing, I'm so sorry :(

9. laura83 Initiate Member

i've had female betta's do same thing =(

10. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry. :(

11. blu3dragon619 Member Member

omg that sucks, i had a dog that got ran over by a car tire ='( i know how you feel it sucks really bad

12. cameronpalte Member Member

13. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

A 2cm betta should be on live foods, it prevents problems and aids growth and development. No breeder in their right mind sells fry that young to any yahoo who asks. Nice gimmick. Its like selling puppies that are 1 week old.

Im very sorry to hear about your little girl, unfortunately they are jumpers. Maybe they have kangaroo somewhere in their blood lines? I hate to hear your sister will be upset, im sure she will understand what happened though. Unfortunately this means if you do buy a new fish you will have to go through QT procedures again. I might advise you to stay away from the baby bettas though, petsmart needs to just stop selling them. I realize their cute, i really do, but its not healthy for the little guys. They have plenty of mature bettas looking for good homes though. You might find HMs and males with larger finnage to be less jump ready.