My betta baby daddy has ich... what do I do?

1. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

When I checked this morning to see if the eggs hatched (they did), I noticed some white spots on my steel blue delta male betta. I also noticed that there are a lot of fry in their yolks on the floor of the tank and that the bubble nest is only half the size of what it was last night.

So he's got ich... I can't very well remove him since he's tending to the young (sort of).

I can't do a massive water change.

How can I safely treat for ich in this tank now that I've got betta fry ready to swim around?

Please help! I want to save him and not kill the fry. What do I do?

2. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

This is one of those times when you just have to do what you have to do. You can raise the temp and see if that alone will get rid of the ich. But I can't say how the temp change will affect the fry.

Is this a bare bottom tank, by any chance?

3. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

Yes, it is indeed a bare bottom tank. And I did raise the temp to 82 this morning before I left for work. I'm scared to go to 86. I have this dream of saving everybody...

Can I / should I add aquarium salt ?

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

It's been a long time since I had betta, but I'll go with my gut and say no salt due to the fry.

Because it's bare bottom, I'm not sure what happens with the ich spore. With substrate, you'd have to vacuum it.

5. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

No substrate, luckily. I would have a hard time vacuuming anyway with the fry.

Research time about the salt. I leave in a bit... Hopefully the dad hasn't gotten too bad while I've been at work. I really hate losing fish, even 1-day old ones!

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Yikes. Howd he go about getting that? Normally in the fry tanks their better off because the water quality must be pristine. You can remove him once they stop swimming horizontally. Which should only be a few days after hatch. Then you can do some heavy treating on him, if you want, you can remove him now. Then i would simply raise up the temp SLOWLY VERY VERY SLOWLY i cannot say that enough. After which you will have to watch the fry. You cant do much else, at that age meds would be a bad idea. Once their 1-2 weeks maybe some kordon as its very gentle, at a half dose of course. Maybe even less then that. Treating salt would also do more harm right now. And of course, water changes are a nono until they are older.

7. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

I have no idea how he got it; I assume the stress of mating. The water is indeed pristine; I was very careful in prepping the tank for mating. It was a hospital tank 4 months ago, but I've bleached it twice and left it dry since then. Maybe something lived through all that???

Anyway, the fry have hatched but aren't swimming horizontally yet. The temp is now at 86, and everybody is doing okay. He's looking less stressed and is more active in getting the sinking fry back to the surface. I expect tomorrow they'll be swimming, and I can move him out for treatment.

Can ich infect fry this young? Do you think they'll survive?

8. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

When did you get the betta?

9. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

Saturday March 17th

10. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

It may be possible he carried it with him.I dont no other wise.is it the same filter as the hospital tank?

11. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

No filter in this tank. It would eventually be the same, but there's none in here yet (and I ran super hot bleach water through the original).

I don't know either. I'm so bummed out, but at least he hasn't died and many fry still live.

12. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

My tank has ich to not very fun :/

13. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Unfortunately it can spread to fry, which sucks. Youll just have to get him out ASAP. Hope for the best. At least hes carrying out his proper duties.

14. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

Should I take him out now and let the fry die?

It's now 3AM... about 4 hours after the "should i let them die?" post. I got up to check on this mess.

The male is still carrying out his duties, even having blown a new bubble nest. Unfortunately, many of the fry he picks up from the bottom are dead, having been so from the the morning they hatched when he was all lethargic with ich. I am so sad to see him ferry corpses to the bubble nest only to watch them sink again.

A few fry are out swimming, so very few. Many more are still doing the thing where they sink a couple inches from the nest and then frantically swim back up to it.

The male still has spots of ich, but there are no *new* spots, which is comforting. The temp holds steady at 86F, and I keep my fingers cross.

15. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I would take him soon, for now, if you can be extremely careful, you can use a eyedropper or turkey baster to remove the dead fry on the bottom, this way he will stop all that nonsense.

16. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

I will run home at lunch and do this. Some of the fry are starting to swim, so it won't be long before I can get him out of there.

I appreciate everybody's advice here. This is a nerve-wracking situation for me, and I imagine it's not too great for the fish either :(

17. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Can you please clarify something for me? There is no filter on this tank?

Having read more of your posts, I have to think that he got ich due to not having the opportunity to get used to his new environment before he was called upon to breed. The guy got stressed out.

18. Shine Well Known Member Member

Whether you take him out quickly or not you are still going to have to keep the heat up in the fry tank. Otherwise you risk the ich spoors hatching and infecting the fry as well... and they are pretty vulnerable to infections at that stage.

If you bought the male on the 17th of March I am going to guess that he had ich when you got him. If you bought him from the store (ie. in a cup) the room temp that the water is slows the ich's life cycle and could be why you didn't see it till now. The parasite's life cycle can be as long as a month, or more at 60F; but is under 14 days at 86F. Just keep the heat elevated--on both the fry tank and the male's (once you move him) and he should recover.

19. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

There is a filter in the tank, but not the one I used months ago when there was ich in the tank. There is a sponge filter in it now, but it is turned off for the mating/breeding time. This filter is brand new and will be turned back on soon.

Maybe you are right about the male not having enough time to get used to his new home. I thought three weeks was enough, but maybe it wasn't. I have removed him, and he is in his own hospital tank now being treated. He's energetic and looking pretty good... he actually has fewer spots of ich than he did yesterday.

20. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

I agree. Both tanks are at 86F, and many of the fry are surviving. I am hopeful that the male will make a full recovery as he is already improving, and if the fry are surviving at this temp already, they should be okay.

Thank you everybody for chiming in and helping out. I hope this thread will be useful to other folks if they're unfortunate enough to end up in the same situation.