My betta babies are finally growing up!

cerfew

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a betta spawn back in November, and they are finally growing up! The biggest one is about an inch long. Up till now, I have had them in a 30L clear storage tub with a heater and a filter (used to be a sponge filter-- just recently I upgraded to a submersible filter to improve water quality). Due to the nature of the tub shape, they all have plenty of room to move around- I think I prefer it to a ten gallon tank.

Anyways, I think it's about time to start moving them into individual jars. The biggest one is starting to get an attitude. No flaring or nipping, but the others steer clear.

So how do I go about keeping the jars warm? I have 25 babies total, so it's not too big of an issue. And I'm probably only going to start out with 5-10 of them jarred, until the small ones grow bigger also.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have a submersable heater, you can fill the jars up to where you want them, then drain the tub so that the water line matches the jars water lines and put the jars (and heater) in the tub. Or you could go out and buy a few breeders nets, and separate them in breeders nets (this would be best water quality wise, but can be pricey)

andrearamirezo91

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think AkarI pretty much gave you the best options already Good luck with your babies and can't wait to see pictures!!!!

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Another option (although even pricier than Akari's breeder net option) is to buy the betta bowl heater pads that they sell at Petsmart.

no_clue0788

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Meijer, at least the one near me, always has discount fish stuffs! I was able to buy breeders nets for only 3 bucks and submersible filters for only 2!

Also, its been 5 months since your spawn and the biggest is only about an inch? Normally they are about full grown at 3 months. Check out . It shows you baby betta grown in pictures. Alot of people say that babies emit a hormone that causes the growth of the other babies to slow (stunt). Survival of the fittest I guess. But that's why most breeders suggest 50% water changes at least every other day. A little more on that can be found here: . The 3rd paragraph mentions the grown hormone that I just mentioned.

Of course I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, just trying to help. Congrats by the way. I'm looking forward to pictures as well.

OP
C

cerfew

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Probably the reason they are growing so slowly is that I haven't been doing water changes as often as recommended, and they were basically on microworms up until this point because I was having grindal worm problems. Fun.

no_clue0788

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They have 'instant brine shrimp' now available on the IBC website for about 8 bucks. They also have in tank continuous feed brine shrimp hatcheries. I use 2 in a 30 gallon grow out tank and it works amazingly! Add eggs every day and they hatch everyday. Clean it every 10 days. Those run you about 13 bucks on amazon.com . Although it might be a little late if they're almost an inch. Lol. But if you still have some smaller babes then maybe its worth investing? I've never used grindal worms so I wouldn't be able to help much there, but check out this website; . It has 50 pages about bettas. Some on how to raise the live food and harvest them easier. I saw one about grindal worms. Might help.

So curiosity has gotten me. What kind of little baby bettas are you raising?

OP
C

cerfew

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The mom was a blue crowntail with red tips, and the male was just a blue crowntail. They were probably mutts of some sort- they both came from the local pet store. But I was doing it more for the experience and not really to create some incredible show-worthy spawn.

There are 2 that look almost albino, they are really lightly colored, and also the smallest. They worry me a little bit. Then the majority are between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch, then only a single baby that is actually about 1 inch.

Thanks for the tips on the brine shrimp, I'll look into that.

New Threads