My Betta Attacked My Panda Cory??

1. ραмєℓα

ραмєℓα New Member Member

My betta flares at my panda cories and chases them around the tank. After a week or so the flaring stopped but he still chases my cories whenever he sees them. The cories sometimes nip on my bettas tail when he is at the bottom of the tank. My betta also ripped off a large part of my cories dorsal fin. Is it really alright to keep a male betta with two panda cories?? Or should I seperate them? Please help..

They live in a 5 gallon tank with live plants and small rocks. I put aquarium conditioner and a filter.

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

One Cory’s shouldn’t live in small groups like that, two you have an aggressive Betta witch is common and three, the tank is to small for Betta’s and Cory’s in fact I wouldn’t put anything else in there with the Betta since it’s aggressive. I would either put the Cory’s in a cycled 10 gallon and add 2 or 3 more or just get rid of them.

And I don’t mean for that to sound rude sorry if it did

3. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I mean the only fish that should be in the 5 gal is the betta. Separate them asap.

I really doubt the cory nips at the betta, they’re not aggressive nor fin nippers. Get a 20 gal to put the cories. You should have a group of 4 or more.

4. OP
    OP
    ραмєℓα

ραмєℓα New Member Member

Thanks for your suggestion! I actually have a 10 gal sitting aside. I will set it up and add in 4 more cory cats. :)

5. FishFor2018

Okay that’s wonderful! Just make sure it’s cycled if it’s not use a filter cartridge from an existing tank and put it in the filter for the 10 gallon and the tank will be ready In 24-48 hours. I have 4 Cory’s in a 10 gallon myself and there super happy and active.

6. bryangar

No cory should be in 10 gallon. Even the smallest cory needs 15 gal minimum.

7. FishFor2018

I’ve never heard of that and mine are thriving in a 10gallon

8. OP
    OP
    ραмєℓα

ραмєℓα New Member Member

Yeah i kinda think its alright as long as they have company.

9. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

A ten is not enough space for a shoal of panda cories, the length isn't long enough to suit their swimming.

10. FishFor2018

Just make sure you get panda Cory’s since they will usually stick together will the same variety’s

11. bryangar

You just did.

12. FishFor2018

Also you can consider buying another tank that’s larger for them in the future but there fine in a 10 gallon. I know some people that are experts at keeping corydoras and they usually keep 5 or 6 Cory’s in a 10 gallon. They usually live 7 years.
    Edit:Normally five at once

13. Mcasella

Key word here is expert, they know what they are doing and it is likely a breeding setup. Ten gallons (more like 8 with substrate) is not stable for messy fish like cories that get to two inches each without some experience behind it. They will not exhibit all of their normal behaviors and will seem fairly lazy when housed in a ten gallon tank.

14. bryangar

Please do research on any fish you buy.

15. FishFor2018

https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/freshwater-aquarium-fish/cory-catfish/
    i spent 30 minutes doing some EXTRA research and everything says if you have a ten gallon you can keep 4 in one tank at a time.

they do sell them and they are breeding corys but there also pets i've seen them and there a lot more active then mine witch are ACTIVE.
    Edit: they also have live plants in every tank

16. Mcasella

That site also recommends putting store water into a tank, no QT listed, cories are shoaling not schooling, cory cats have different temperature requirements (pandas need cooler water than bettas and most easy to get tropical fish), they need to be in larger groups not "if aquarium size permits" if you cannot house them in a proper sized tank you shouldn't be keeping them, which it the site literally stays on its home page.

Panda cories need at least 15 gallons, 20s preferred (as 15s are sometimes hard to come by and generally more expensive than 20s), they need lower temperatures than most tropical fish (72-73 is good for them), they need to be in a relatively large group of their own species (while they will swim with other cories they will not display the same behavior as if those cories were the same species as them). They need a varied diet to keep their health up and either smooth/soft gravel or sand to keep their barbels intact.
    Your betta has proven he does not like other fish, I would rehome the cories you have and possibly upgrade your betta to the ten gallon and see if he will tolerate shrimp or snails in his new tank.

17. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Those are pygmies:) for minimum. A 10 gallon isn't enough space for 6-8 cories. No matter the size they get (unless they are new borns or like an inch)