My Betta Ate My Snail!

Gourami Geek

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello friends.
My lovely plakat male betta Zeus lives in a divided 10 gallon tank with a black mystery snail in his section and a crowntail male betta in the other section of the tank.

My snail had been acting a little odd for about a month now, but last night I noticed he was on the bottom of the tank, completely tucked inside his shell. Normally I would have checked it out immediately, but it was late, I had an insanely busy day and had a nasty head cold, so I made the foolish decision to just go about my typical evening routine and go to bed.

This morning I woke up, and did my typical morning head count, and when I got to the betta tank, I discovered the snail's body was not in its shell. Right away I knew I messed up the night before, so I got my water change supplies and grabbed a net to remove the remains. But, when I got back, there is Zeus with part of a snail hanging out of his mouth! He had already eaten most of it, but regardless I tried to somehow get him to spit the rest out. I chased him with the net, scattering rock and plastic plants about the tank in the process, and when I finally thought I had him, he snarfed the rest of the snail down with one big gulp.

It's now been about 12 hours since the incident, and I've monitored him closely all day, and he isn't showing any signs of, well, anything I guess.

So should I be worried? Should I fast him or feed peas for a few days? Or just wait and see if any symptoms occur?

Anyway, that's my freak story for the day. There's something new everyday it seems like.

Thanks!

UniqueShark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yup, that's what they do. How big of a snail?

Sean Smith

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The snail could have gone outside of its shell and died and the betta thought lunch. But I've never heard of Bettas attacking snails unless they were smaller than a couple centimeters. Not to be taken offensively, but Bettas are carnivores and that was probably a great meal for him protein wise .

Gourami Geek

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
UniqueShark said:
Yup, that's what they do. How big of a snail?
Little bigger than a quarter maybe.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My betta has almost eaten 8 MTS in a week and a half. I see one come out everynight, and I'm hoping that it'll lay eggs so I'll have more... but yeah, they're vicious lol

Sean Smith

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A betta ate a typical nerite snail size....... yup I didnt see that one

Gourami Geek

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sean Smith said:
The snail could have gone outside of its shell and died and the betta thought lunch. But I've never heard of Bettas attacking snails unless they were smaller than a couple centimeters. Not to be taken offensively, but Bettas are carnivores and that was probably a great meal for him protein wise .
Okay good. I was hoping so. I don't think that Zeus attacked the snail, but I do think the snail was sick, so that's why I was concerned.

Lorekeeper said:
My betta has almost eaten 8 MTS in a week and a half. I see one come out everynight, and I'm hoping that it'll lay eggs so I'll have more... but yeah, they're vicious lol
Okay that brings me to a question then. In my betta sorority tank, I have a pest snail problem, and I believe I have identified them as MTS snails. Is there a way i can feed them to my bettas?

Sean Smith

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mts are typically small though . I can totally see a betta eating those or river snails or ram horn snails

You could break their shell and see if the betta notices the French quisine before him/her

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Personally, I love MTS. They're a free CUC to me. If you really need to get rid of some, and your bettas won't touch them, assassin snails are great as long as you don't have any pet snails that you want to keep.

Gourami Geek

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Awesome! I have spent sooooo much money getting into this hobby in the past 18 months. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I'd have to special order assassin snails, which tends to cost more than if I bought them from a pet store. Even though it doesn't sound like much money, it adds up, so I try to save money without compromising the well being of the fish as much as possible. So turning a pest that would cost money to remove into a fancy lunch for the bettas is right up my ally.

Sean Smith

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You like Bettas and your profile shows you like gouramis ...... have you thought of ever having a paradise fish tank ? Same family as gouramis and Bettas . And they look like a mix between them . Look them up . They are a little more docile than their betta cousins .For any future thoughts on any new tanks if you get the multiple tank syndrome XD

Gourami Geek

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sean Smith said:
You like Bettas and your profile shows you like gouramis ...... have you thought of ever having a paradise fish tank ? Same family as gouramis and Bettas . And they look like a mix between them . Look them up . They are a little more docile than their betta cousins .For any future thoughts on any new tanks if you get the multiple tank syndrome XD
Ohhhh yes. I think about a paradise fish tank pretty much on a day to day basis. In fact I almost picked one up at petco a couple weeks ago, but I fought the urge. I was hit hard with MTS last summer. I found a deal on craigslist, 150$ for a 55 gallon, 35 gallon, and three 10 gallons, with almost all the necessary supplies. At one point I had 8 tanks, but I have condensed to 6 now.

My juvenile painted turtle is outgrowing his 18 gallon storage tote at the moment, so the next project is getting a good deal on a 30 gallon. ( Or larger if I can get a good deal.) The water stays about 74 degrees unheated, so I was thinking maybe I would get a school of Boesmani Rainbows to put with him. I have considered paradise fish as well though. I did some research on Paradise Fish a while back when I was still considering stocking for 55 gallon, but I found varying information temperature wise. The Fishlore page says 74 - 82, but pretty much everything else says stuff like 62 - 79, and that seems like way to vast of a range. This was before I had a Fishlore account so I basically just gave up and went a different route.

So yes I am definitely very interested in them but I am still searching for information.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom