10 Gallon Tank My betta ate kale.

attheworld

On Tuesday evening, I placed some cooked kale in my tank for my mystery snail, Dairy. The next day, the kale has been reduced to a stub and I take out this tiny little stem, trapped under some bacopa. It used to be about 2 by 2''. When I found it my crowntail betta, Prince, was resting in his favourite cave, and didn't see me take it out. At first I was awed at how quickly Dairy had eaten. But I wondered how it had gotten from one side of the tank to the middle. I'm talking from underneath a pygmy sword plant, over/around the caves my betta loves and underneath a bacopa stem, at least halfway across the tank. My snail doesn't carry kale. But I dismissed it and continued on my way.

Several hours later I finally get home and check on my tank. This is when I notice Prince is super bloated - like his stomach is a balloon. Yesterday he was nice and slim, it was indeed the day he recovered from his week-long constipation (in shame I will admit the constipation was due to overfeeding). But this time I know I have fed close to nothing recently, and he was fine the day before.

I assemble the facts below...

- The kale was completely gone in 1 day but my snail usually takes a few days to finish it.
- The kale was halfway across the tank and I know my snail wouldn't move it.
- Most of the kale's stem was missing and Dairy completely avoids the stem.
- Prince loves to attack the kale when I place it in the tank. I mean flaring, nipping, and chasing it when he bites it and it flies around the tank. I've seen him tear off a chunk before, but he spat it out.
- I haven't fed Prince a large meal for a week due to his constipation. I did feed a tiny bit of frozen brine shrimp on Tuesday but that was it.

...and the form the conclusion that my hungry, "carnivorous" betta devoured the kale and is now suffering for it. But this time the bloating is the worst I've seen, and it's due to plant material, which my fish isn't made to digest.

The only thing I've done so far is feed him about one third of a cooked pea. It hasn't helped yet, but I have hopes because for his constipation it reduced his bloating to nothing in a day.

There aren't any other symptoms yet. I will update as Prince is slapped by karma.

I am more scared than last time this happened - just two days ago - because bettas aren't made to digest kale, or any plant. Mainly I am wondering what course of action I should take. Fasting? More peas? Other natural laxatives (I can't access daphnia nor have the equipment to raise any live food)? Epsom salt baths?

Pictures attached. I can't make them any more focused/detailed than they are, but I hope it is enough to see. It's hard to tell in the picture but his stomach underside is gray. I don't believe this is an emergency and did not provide a completed emergency form, but if you need the details I can update this post with it.

TIA,
- Att.

Lmg01

I had an algae wafer in my tank for my pleco, and my betta got dropsy and was constipated. My fish didn’t make it, but definitely be careful and treat it quickly. Fasting didn’t work for me. I recommend trying to get rid of the constipation however you can.

PaprikaFish

I think for now the best thing to do would be to continue to fast him, but check up on him and monitor his condition. Peas do act as laxatives, but if you can access brine shrimp, they're easier to digest and should be able to help push the kale along.

attheworld

Thank you Lmg and Paprika.

Here's an update. Yesterday I decided not to feed Prince, as it were late anyway and almost nighttime for my tank. Maybe it was best I didn't, and gave his system time to process the kale because this morning I saw torn, brown kale hanging from his belly. I fed him a tiny bit more of brine shrimp and I'm hoping for the best. It looks partly digested but mainly his body is just excreting it since it can't use it, I assume. I'm glad he is able to rid of the kale and no other symptoms have occurred. It seems like he is on the way to a simple recovery, but I will keep a watchful eye on him.

Lmg01

attheworld said:
Thank you Lmg and Paprika.

Here's an update. Yesterday I decided not to feed Prince, as it were late anyway and almost nighttime for my tank. Maybe it was best I didn't, and gave his system time to process the kale because this morning I saw torn, brown kale hanging from his belly. I fed him a tiny bit more of brine shrimp and I'm hoping for the best. It looks partly digested but mainly his body is just excreting it since it can't use it, I assume. I'm glad he is able to rid of the kale and no other symptoms have occurred. It seems like he is on the way to a simple recovery, but I will keep a watchful eye on him.
Im glad he’s doing well!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom