My Beta likes the GRAVEL

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by jinx_beta, Apr 9, 2006.

1. jinx_betaValued MemberMember

Hi,
    my Betta, Orion. He hangs around the bottom of the tank, and, unlike goldfish, when I feed him, he may as well be rolling his eyes! ::)
    He doesn't react to the food at all! I urged him on (don't ask how) he took a bite, and guess what...
    He spat it out!

Orion is fussy. I bought him new food (pellets), and he eats it. But apparantly live food is best. i read SAD BETTA and I'll try talking to him. :D :D ???

2. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure what mine is doing when he does that as well, actually he has two 'zones' where he spends a lot of his time; the duckweed patch and a sort of hollow in the gravel between some larger stones and a couple of plants. I originally made that spot for the catfish but he likes it there now and then. Rose suggested he might be sleeping or resting when he does that, or perhaps even relieving himself. Bettas are picky fussy little fish, with many individual eccentricities. I am finding myself slowly less and less paranoid and more able to just wonder at him and get to know him.

3. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Bettas are funny fish! They can be quite fussy eaters. You just have to try different things until you find what he will eat. Most of them love bloodworms, which might be something good to try right now, but you can't feed him bloodworms everyday. You can also try soaking the pellets you already have in some garlic juice before adding them to the tank and see if he becomes more interested. I have never had a problem getting my bettas to eat anything I put in the tank, even flakes which many members say their bettas will absolutely not eat. But since variety is the key with any fish, try the bloodworms, and then see what happens. Bloodworms can cause constipation though, so another food would have to be found pretty quickly. Daphnia might be another good choice which will also help with the constipation issue.

4. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Well, I caught Noel watching the news this morning. He seems to like TV where there is just one or maybe two people on the screen. Yes, they are very funny fish. LOL

As far as the food goes, if you try the bloodworms and that usually does get them to eat, only give him maybe 6 or 7 at a time or you will have a very constipated betta and they "shimmy" when they swim or hang around the bottom of the tank periodically like they cannot move at all. Then you have to get out the trusty peas and give them a dose of defrosted frozed pea (in the microwave for 30 seconds) about half the size of his eye.

They get lonely too so the talking idea is a good one. Just learn what your little guy likes. They are ALL different and what will work for one may not for another but I can only give general guidelines from what works with my 3 and what I have read. Have fun, he will keep you interested (and try not to worry too much as long as he is not showing signs of disease) Bettas will only very rarely eat with the other fish. I read that they like to be fed alone and since all I have are the bettas and otos I cannot say I have had that problem but I know the bettas get very nippy and jealous when I feed the otos. You might try hand feeding the pellets, but remember a betta can get by on very little food. No more that 3 pellets 2 times a day or you will have the above mentioned constipation.

Rose
    :)

5. OP
    OP
    j

jinx_betaValued MemberMember

Thanks, :)
    I was playing pinball on my PC (which is near the tank) and I noticed he was watching me!
    he was just gazing out of the tank, watching the screen!
    So he's a computer nerd! he likes games!
    As for the pellets, I'm going to go to the local pet shop (where I got him) and get some blood worms ;D

6. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

Here's an idea: always feed the betta first, especially if you have say bottom feeders. They won't mind. The only danger is that friendly sociable fish or greedy fish might come up to the surface curiously when the betta is being fed. The corys rarely do that, or do it skittishly now if at all since they know he'll get mad.

Also I really did find that using mostly natural light and not having the tanklight on that much at all (maybe a couple of hours a night) helps him for some reason, he's a lot more active now. I suspect maybe it was overheating the tank a little bit. I'm reluctant to experiment with heat and such when I've got it so perfect otherwise.

7. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

is the light incandescent? If so it probably was overheating the tank.

8. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure, just that it seems to actually make the surface of the water quite warm after a couple of hours.

9. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

It's probably incandescent. Fluorescents don't heat the water.

10. chickadee

both my 5 gallon Eclipse and the 3 gallon Eclipse are fluorescent, but the 5 gallon does not heat up and the 3 gallon does. i blamed it on the lighting until i figured out it was the tightness of the hood and the fact it was so well fitting that the motor from the pump plus the fact there was very little air movement inside the hood was the problem with the heating, not the lighting, so now I leave the door to the top open during the day and close it at night. The space is so small none of my babies will get out and it does keep it much more to their liking.

Rose

11. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

Interesting...btw, I tried what you said and he has not thus far responded, in fact he actually glanced at one of the pellets outside his little corral and didn't go after the food. For the first time in a while he chased the catfish but that seemed to only be because they were being fed; once he investigated and realized it was not something he wanted to eat he began swimming around again. So...I'm trusting you and hoping that he'll figure things out.

12. chickadee

he may be stubborn and he may chase the cories (otos), but he won't starve and he will find the food he wants to eat. it will challenge your patience and make you worry but he will not starve and he will find the food he wants to eat. he will make you feel like a bug and that you are the worst daddy(mommy) in the world but he will not starve and he will find the food he wants to eat. ---- this was my mantra for quite a while as I was teaching Azul to come up and eat, and teaching Noel to come up and eat, and teaching Marty to come up and eat (haven't quite gotten THERE yet) --- thank God for Misty, she hand fed from day one :D :D :D!!!!!!!!

How's your patience? Was it you I told that the word with bettas was PATIENCE? When we become Betta parents (and they are very much like children - with those little personalities of theirs) we have the choice of interacting with them or not. They do much better when we become part of their lives not just observers. What you are doing for Darth now is bonding with him. He will be better for it and so will you. It is not going to happen overnight, but it is the only way I know to make SURE that they are really eating just what they should have and not just dropping food in and hoping for the best. :D

13. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

My patience is pretty good. Today he did eat one pellet but that was because the way it hit the water it spun around and he lunged at it out of sheer instinct I suspect. Then it was reasonably easy to get him to take another one, since he was already there. However after that he went back to the duckweed so I didn't give him anything else.

But boy, is he ever active after I changed the way I deal with the lighting, I've never seen him since that first couple of weeks exploring the tank so much.

14. chickadee

Okay, maybe the surface is getting too hot with the light on. Maybe that is why he hangs out under the duckweed. I would see if that is why by getting a thermometer and comparing the temperature under the duckweed and in the open surface. If that is the case, you may have to find a way to keep the aquiarium cooler. Different bulb or such. But they still need at the very least 6 hours of light a day or they will not produce enough Vitamin D to keep their immune systems up and running.

Rose

15. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

Well...I felt cruel, but the result is this: after a brief diet/fast my betta has begun hurrying to the top and going where my hand is to be fed. It's a bit odd, feeding a fish this way, but it seems to work best to guarantee that he eats and eats what I want to feed him. So thank you for the advice, which once again was a big help.

16. chickadee

I know it is some of the hardest advice I have had to give. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. but it was the only way I could get my bettas to eat what they were given and not go without eating at times. they had to get interested in eating and now i give them WHAT they want (every one of them wants something different naturally), but they all eat from my hand. (Marty and I are still having issues but we are working on it.) I am glad you are through the rough part. I knew your Darth would be okay, but I did not want my advice to damage our friendship. I would NEVER recommend anything that is cruel to any fish. His not eating is much more serious than teaching him to eat in this manner. You need to able to monitor his health and besides you will soon find that this little time together is quite pleasant and he will develop a connection with you.

Rose

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice