My Beginners

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Prism, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Prism

PrismWell Known MemberMember

Hi,

I’m very new here, and I just bought 4 frogs yesterday in a 5 gal tank, 2 of the frogs have this mysterious brownish dot on his head, and the one of them that have the dot, are floating on his back swimming, we separated him from the others, and now he’s in a separate container.

What would you say in this condition?

Checklist, I don’t have a filter,

I have a bubbler.

I have plenty of hiding areas,

I have bamboo, and anything more?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Hi and welcome to Fishlore!

Do you understand the nitrogen cycle?

Your frogs are making ammonia. Ammonia is toxic to frogs and fish. In a tank with a cycled filter the bacteria in the filter turn the ammonia into nitrite (which is also toxic) then to nitrate (which is much less toxic). Then you have to do water changes to keep nitrate below 20ppm.

So you need a filter to keep water safe for them. They don't like a lot of water movement though. A sponge filter would be good.

Unfortunately those frogs need 10 gallons minimum.

Can you post a picture of the one with a dot?

3. OP
    OP
    Prism

I asked the worker at Petsmart, she said 5 gallons will be enough for 4 frogs ? And yes I will post a picture, very soon.

4. BottomDweller

2.5 gallons per frog is a good rule, with more space per frog being better.

5. OP
    OP
    Prism

I'm dying, I see but, I don't think my mom will go for it....is there is any other plan, or is that the only one?

6. BottomDweller

What do you mean?

Long term they need a bigger tank. You could rehome 2 or get a 7.5 gallon and rehome 1 or get a 10 gallon.

Do you have a test kit?

7. OP
    OP
    Prism

I do have a test kit, I'm thinking of re-homing 2, since its under a week.

8. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

You know that these frogs are juvenile. None of them are longer than 2 1/2 inches. I know that doesn't matter, but it doesn't appeal to me that you'd need a bigger tank. I used to deal with ADF's a lot more than I do now, and I never thought they'd need bigger at this size.

Although, since the frogs were just purchased, you can still rehome them. The one swimming on his back, seems to have been ailed from the buying process. Theres nothing wrong in our conditions to cause this problem.

9. sylviepld

sylviepldValued MemberMember

Look on kijiji for amazing deals on tanks, filters and just about anything to do with keeping water 'critters'. I agree that they need a bigger tank and some filtration. The bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain proper water conditions because changes are more gradual.

10. RyleighJ

RyleighJValued MemberMember

What kind of frogs are they? Because I believe that makes a major difference as well

11. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

African Dwarf. Not African Clawed

Tip Tap, and I have decided on an optimal decision.

What is our idea?
    Rehome all the frogs that we just purcahsed, and instead of frogs. Tip wants a betta fish for the 5g.

We will be going to our LFS t0 check out the betta display, and see if we can grab a good one!

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice