10 Gallon Tank My bamboo shrimp died for no reason?

blossawm
I'm very confused, it seems my bamboo shrimp died for absolutely no reason. There are 3 tank mates with her, my male betta and 2 baby snails. (don't know what types they are since they came off a live plant from petsmart) My betta didn't hurt her, he's never shown aggression with any tank mates, when they were first introduced he poked her for a couple days but quickly got bored of that. the water parameters are perfect, the temperature is currently at 78F, everything seems fine? I thought she was doing well because she had just shed her shell thing and I heard that's a good thing, she was perfectly fine last night. The only thing I can think of is that the topfin heaters don't seem too great, the water felt a little cold last night so I turned the heat up a couple degrees, which still wouldn't have made the water too hot or anything. When I just checked the water (and found that she had died) the water temp felt good (I pretty much just know when the waters right, there's also a thermometer in the tank) the tank is 10 gallons, I tested the water with API test strips. My mom got the shrimp for me 2 weeks ago. She was added in the tank before my betta was, the tank was finished cycling and was ready for my betta to go in, and I wanted some shrimp so my mom got me one, but that shrimp was the only one the pet store had (I wanted about 5 of them). When my mom was at the pet store getting the shrimp the person working there was mad and kept tossing the poor thing into different containers and bags for no reason. That might have really stressed her out, not to mention going into a new home I just feel really bad, I hope I did right, I have never owned a shrimp before but I did research before getting her. I'm sorry if this isn't in the right thread or anything, this is my first time posting here.

Pfrozen
Bamboo shrimp need high flow filters because theyre filter feeders. Basically they sit in the current all day and catch little pieces of food as the flow by. I had one in a 10g with a 10g HOB and it starved to death if you ever buy another one make sure to only add it when your tank is well established (ie several months old) and also make sure there are areas of high flow within the tank

Kimara
She may have certainly starved, but j just want to make sure, you don't dose your tank with any fertilizers that have copper in them, do you? Copper is VERY toxic tl shrimp in even small doses.

blossawm
Alright, thank you. The filter I have is able to adjust the flow, maybe I should've had it set higher. (I had it set high and my betta didn't mind, I adjusted it for some reason a couple days ago though when I was adding more decor to the tank) The filter I have in the tank is from my goldfish fry tank, I switched the filters around because I thought that filter would be better for the betta and shrimp (and the filter media was from my bettas old tank), I know the shrimp was directly underneath the flow, it was also eating the plant I had in there because it kept pooping the plant out. Next time I'll make sure there's a higher flow, I feel really bad, that could be why she died
Pfrozen said:
Bamboo shrimp need high flow filters because theyre filter feeders. Basically they sit in the current all day and catch little pieces of food as the flow by. I had one in a 10g with a 10g HOB and it starved to death if you ever buy another one make sure to only add it when your tank is well established (ie several months old) and also make sure there are areas of high flow within the tank

blossawm
Kimara said:
She may have certainly starved, but j just want to make sure, you don't dose your tank with any fertilizers that have copper in them, do you? Copper is VERY toxic tl shrimp in even small doses.
I didn't add fertilizers, thankfully (I was looking at them on Amazon but didn't end up buying any) I added betta conditioner and ph balance stuff though.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom