My babies

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lets see if this works. Here's aoSul displaying for Deisceart.

Notus. He's hard to get a good picture of because he's such a dark color.

Indra, showing off. He's very irradescent, so he turns out more green than he looks IRL. My roommate calls him "the rainbow fish".

This is Tuasceart. The only other betta I have other than these, is Ace, and I haven't tried taking pictures of him yet.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are absolutely beautiful babies!  I am especially taken with the beautiful blue female.  She is a lovely little thing playing in the flowers there.   

The names you have chosen for them are really unique.  I like them.

Welcome to our little betta community, aoSul, Notus, Indra, Deisceart, Tuasceart, and Ace.

Rose

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you. It took me a while to get to know Tua's personality, but she's a happy, content little girl.

And I can't NOT put in here, my two bettas who have moved on. First is Caurus, the spaz, who hated the camera (I have exactly two decent pictures of him. Total. After hours of trying. Caurus taught me my lesson regarding not leaving bettas in a container that they can jump out of :'( . My orders to EVERYONE: Make SURE that you never leave your bettas in something they can jump out of (and they can jump higher than you think), even for a minute. The results are tragic and traumatic. NEVER do it.

And this, my dear friends, is the best fish I ever had. He died of unknown causes while I was gone for the weekend. Kiakias would take his food from my hand, he was my most docile betta, and he was in love with Deisy. He is very much missed. Homework doesn't seem the same without K-k on my desk to order me to finish .

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From one Betta lover to another, it is so much fun and they are such joys, I am sure that you have a lot of joy in your life. Keep us informed of their antics. We always enjoy hearing tales of the Bettas in the family.

Rose

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, Ace is certainly a wonderful boy. At first he kept hiding behind his filter (where I have had fish get stuck before) and I would try to chase him out with a finger. Rather than retreating, he developed an affinity for my finger. He is very happy in his new home, he has a bubble nest going in the corner. The other day I couldn't find him anywhere. I was about to commence panicking when I noticed a movement above the PVC connector that I use as a cheap and easy tank decoration that is betta-safe. Ace's nose and eyes had appeared above it and he was giving me a "you disturbed my NAP" look. I was extremely releved to find him. even with a secure lid on the tank, I was envisioning him lying on the floor behind my dresser. He swam up to the top of the tank and demanded some bloodworms. Crazy spoiled fish. Unfortunately, once the 'worms were out, everyone else thought "woohoo, lunchtime already?" and begged for them, too. Oh well, a treat once in a while never hurt them.

Glad you all like my babies!

Rather than starting a new thread, I think I'll just add to this one.

I've never had a problem with my bettas getting constipated, but I like to vary their diet and I know that peas are good for their digestion. Unfortunately, our cafeteria does not have peas (except in fried rice, but I can't imagine soy sauce being good for bettas). I smuggled out a boiled egg and a piece of raw brocolli to try in the mixed tank (I figure that if nothing else, the bottom feeders will be pleased). Since we don't have peas, will the little buds off the brocolli work the same way? Will they like some boiled egg yolk? (As I said, I feed a varied diet. Currently, FDBloodworms, Wardley Essentials Betta premium food, Tetra BettaMin tropical medley, and Hikari BettaBioGold pellets. Fast day is Saturday.) What else do they like that I could purloin?

So here's my boy Ace. Boy is the outside of his tank dirty! (I don't know if you can tell in this picture)

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wait before feeding broccoli or egg. I know that broccoli is not supposed to be fed to a lot of animals. And I don't know about eggs.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
OK, got it.

Actually, today they had peas in the salad bar, so I grabbed a couple of them. I'll just dump the brocolli. I'll hold on to the egg for the moment though.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The general rule that I have heard Gunnie quote is that if people can eat it then so can most fish.  I would not give them much in the way of the brocolli or cabbage family veggies though as they can cause a bit of a tummy ache on their own.  But you must remember that the stomach if a Betta is no larger than the size of their eye.  Another thing about egg yolk is that it is almost completely cholesterol and I have read articles about the growing problem in fish obesity especially fat accumulating around their liver.  This is as unhealthy in a fish as it is in humans.  I guess that we as Americans tend to overfeed our fishies just like our children and so the growing problem of obesity.  The article mentioned that this may be causing some deaths in fish that are otherwise unexplained as the commercially sold foods are balanced and contain the amount of nutrients in the correct proportions that they need but people still give them too much of them. 

I think the peas you get in the cooking would not be good as they could not stand the spices involved in cooking.  It is too  bad that you could not find someone to keep a small bag of frozen peas for you and then you could just defrost one a couple times a week for them.  There is also the option of using freeze-dried daphnia for their fiber source instead of peas.  They are put out by Hikari and are quite cheap and if you give a very small pinch of them a couple times a week to each fish the container is big enough to probably last 6 months or so.

This first one is a food that all my Bettas love and is small enough for even the ones that I have that are not full grown.  Get the small size container though if you buy as the large one has a LOT in it.

This is the link for the Daphnia that I use now instead of peas.  I do not subscribe to the Fast One Day a Week Program.  My Bettas are fed 7 days a week and given Daphnia [a few tiny pieces] every day at noon.  So they actually get their morning kibble according to the formula appropriate for betta tummies  [pellets 3 or 4 only OR bloodworms 5 or 6 only], at noon they get a few pieces of Daphnia, and at a few minutes before lights out they get the same meal that they had in the morning.  They love it and I do not ever have constipaton problems.

I think if you live close to a PetSmart they would have these products in stock if you are interested, but I would copy the pages out of the internet and take them with you as the stores will charge you more usually for the same thing and they do usually give you the catalog price if you can prove the price from the online page.

Rose

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info!!!

I am very careful about how much I feed my bettas for precisely the reason of all the problems I have heard overfeeding causing. I feed a small pinch of whatever I choose to feed for that meal (2 or 3 pellets, cracked in half, if I feed Hikari) at each feeding. Today I broke up one of the peas (not the cooking ones, these are the snow peas that they have for salads. Unspiced ) and gave them each two pieces about 1/4 the size of their eye. I'll look into daphnia, though. It would be easier to store.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow, are ALL of these Bettas yours? How many do you have? They're so beautiful! You must really love them Great pictures and great fishies

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Isabella, I'm glad you like my babies. I currently have six; the other two are unfortunately deceased :'(. I do love them very much, in addition to my cory, Amaethon, and my guppy, Dubh (getting her yet another new friend soon, the last two lasted about a day and a half each ). They all have so much personality!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom