My Australian rainbow is going insane

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Jewbacca32, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Jewbacca32New MemberMember

He has begun swimming really fast is the walls and when I was cleaning the tank swam super hard into my arm, at one point he began swimming face first into gravel, my water peramiters are fine, and all other fish seem okay, what is wrong with him?

2. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfishWell Known MemberMember

Is it the first time you did a water change with him? The only thing I can think of is that he got a bit stressed when you did the water change. Have you added any new fish or decorations?

3. OP
    OP
    J

Jewbacca32New MemberMember

No new decorations, and ibe had him for a year or more, it is really strange

4. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Is he solo or in a school? I think they need a school but even if he was solo it's weird that he only just started going nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    J

There are 3 of them, I know it's in the low side, but he was fine up until today

6. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Okay, and the other two are fine? that was more my concern with him being solo vs a school. If the rest of the school is okay and he is still acting like this after another day I might separate them if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like he is trying to scratch himself because of an irritant. Have you had any new additions to the tank that might have brought in parasites like ich? Try getting a good look at him and it woukd probably be best to move him to a hospital tank so that you can treat him easier and avoid infecting others before you know what you are dealing with.

8. OP
    OP
    J

He's bee moved and doesn't appear to have ICH, he has swam himself to the point of exhaustion, and he now seems to be breathing heavily

9. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

Sounds like osmotic shock to me.

10. OP
    OP
    J

That sounds like the disease, it's weird because I haven't changed anything in composition

11. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Osmosis shock is not a disease, but a condition cause from rapidly change in osmotic pressure. It is what kills a fish when you drop them in a tank with a PH/GH much different than the water they have been kept in.
    You aren't necessarily looking for ICH, there are many other parasites and irritants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice