My Australian rainbow is going insane

Jewbacca32

Reaction score
He has begun swimming really fast is the walls and when I was cleaning the tank swam super hard into my arm, at one point he began swimming face first into gravel, my water peramiters are fine, and all other fish seem okay, what is wrong with him?

Tiny goatfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is it the first time you did a water change with him? The only thing I can think of is that he got a bit stressed when you did the water change. Have you added any new fish or decorations?

Jewbacca32

Reaction score
No new decorations, and ibe had him for a year or more, it is really strange

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is he solo or in a school? I think they need a school but even if he was solo it's weird that he only just started going nuts.

Jewbacca32

Reaction score
There are 3 of them, I know it's in the low side, but he was fine up until today

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, and the other two are fine? that was more my concern with him being solo vs a school. If the rest of the school is okay and he is still acting like this after another day I might separate them if possible.

Sarcasm Included

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like he is trying to scratch himself because of an irritant. Have you had any new additions to the tank that might have brought in parasites like ich? Try getting a good look at him and it woukd probably be best to move him to a hospital tank so that you can treat him easier and avoid infecting others before you know what you are dealing with.

Jewbacca32

Reaction score
He's bee moved and doesn't appear to have ICH, he has swam himself to the point of exhaustion, and he now seems to be breathing heavily

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like osmotic shock to me.

Jewbacca32

Reaction score
That sounds like the disease, it's weird because I haven't changed anything in composition

Sarcasm Included

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Osmosis shock is not a disease, but a condition cause from rapidly change in osmotic pressure. It is what kills a fish when you drop them in a tank with a PH/GH much different than the water they have been kept in.
You aren't necessarily looking for ICH, there are many other parasites and irritants.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads