My asian swamp eel, gulper.

Chiasmodon

I caught this relatively small eel like fish (about 1 ft long and 2 cm in diameter ) I call gulper( because the fish looks like an eel and it gulps air and fish meat) from the creek when water is about to evaporate completely from high temperature. I caught 2 others and they are way smaller than gulper, (around 6 inch and less than a cm in diamter) Has anyone of you guys keep swamp eels? Can you share your experience?

NearMeBettas

Cool, they look real neat. Cool you rescued them.

An FYI though. I don't know were you are but in most places it is illegal to catch and keep wild fish unless you have a fish trappers license. They would be happier in there natural habitat anyway. I do not encourage keeping wild caught animals as pets. Could you move them to a better place that's not dried up?

FishPlanet

I caught this relatively small eel like fish from the creek when water is about to evaporate completely from high temperature. I caught 2 others and they are way smaller than gulper
Awww! I'm so glad you saved them! :)

carsonsgjs

Cool, they look real neat.

An FYI though. I don't know were you are but in most places it is illegal to catch and keep wild fish unless you have a fish trappers license. They would be happier in there natural habitat anyway. I do not encourage keeping wild caught animals as pets.
Certainly not ones that grow to 100cm in length and are piscivores.

Chiasmodon

Cool, they look real neat.

An FYI though. I don't know were you are but in most places it is illegal to catch and keep wild fish unless you have a fish trappers license. They would be happier in there natural habitat anyway. I do not encourage keeping wild caught animals as pets.
Well.. people here in our country have been doing this for several years or even several decades... But I just found out that there is actually a law that prohibits fishing, but... Nearly all people here still catch fish completely disregarding the law, and there are no reports of people getting arrested and paying fines from fishing from local rivers, ponds, and creeks. But Im still planning to release the fish sometime soon... Because I still need to wait until the creek is filled with water again.

During early summertime, the water was stagnant and was infested by vast and abnormal amounts of leech, flukes, nematodes, and other harmful parasites killing many fish especially guppies and gouramis.. And these fish would also die from the high concentration of ammonia caused by vast rotting waste materials from people (which I believe unlawful) and lastly, they will just die from the complete evaporation of water.

Im glad that I save them from their suffering during summertime. I caught them from the creek in early May. and fun fact, these fish are actually considered pests in rice farms..and it got me thinking.. should I really release it? hahaha.
Certainly not ones that grow to 100cm in length and are piscivores.
True. these fishes can only grow around 25 to 40 cm as an adult according to a site. they are really small compared to the large ones that can reach 100 cm and are estimated to have a body with a diameter of 2 inches
oh lastly, I also used API gen. to kill the flukes living within their bodies and it really helps, now the fish is healthy and doesn't show any signs of parasites.

NearMeBettas

Just because people do it, doesn't mean its right. It will be best for them to be released asap. They will be much happier out it the wild, but I can understand keeping them until it is safe for them to be released. They are not going to like being taken from there natural habitat and put in a small tank.

Chiasmodon

Just because people do it, doesn't mean its right. It will be best for them to be released asap. They will be much happier out it the wild, but I can understand keeping them until it is safe for them to be released. They are not going to like being taken from there natural habitat and put in a small tank.
.. Oh what about them being pest in ricefields? What do you think of that?
.. I agree.. It is better for them to live in their natural habitat. Oh well I wish people here will clean the creek to promote better ecosystems for animals and plants but ye.. There are problems with authorities - i think you know what I mean., you cant even see any algae growing probably because of the pollution and toxic substance cause by waste..

If it is now filled with water and its now running, i think the running water of the creek will help in nitrogen cycle to eliminate high concentration Ammonia and wont allow parasites to take over easily because it is now harder for them to swim whenever they want ( i notice that the parasite takes over when water is stagnant).

NearMeBettas

.. Oh what about them being pest in ricefields? What do you think of that?

.. I agree.. It is better for them to live in their natural habitat. Oh well I wish people here will clean the creek to promote better ecosystems for animals and plants but ye.. There are problems with authorities - i think you know what I mean., you cant even see any algae growing probably because of the pollution and toxic substance cause by waste..

If it is now filled with water and its now running, i think the running water of the creek will help in nitrogen cycle to eliminate high concentration Ammonia and wont allow parasites to take over easily because it is now harder for them to swim whenever they want ( i notice that the parasite takes over when water is stagnant).
Ya, I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't clean it. Wouldn't it be better for everyone? Is there someplace you could put them were they wouldn't be a bother in the ricefields? Ya, I would defiantly give it a bit before releasing it and give the river some time, that is disgusting. I notice in the summer when the pond near my property dries up it gets full of yuckies.

Chiasmodon

Ya, I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't clean it. Wouldn't it be better for everyone? Is there someplace you could put them were they wouldn't be a bother in the ricefields? Ya, I would defiantly give it a bit before releasing it and give the river some time, that is disgusting. I notice in the summer when the pond near my property dries up it gets full of yuckies.
1. They are just lazy but they will blaim themselves in the end and regret when the creek ecosystem is completely destroyed or some may not even care.. . They need to fix this asap but they completely ignore it because they put more efforts in fixing those things that people can easily see like roads for example.

2. The problem is..that.. Rice farms are all connected by canals that is also connected by a single creek, you can even see some snakeheads and gouramies and other fish from the creek swimming in those canals.

3. Summer means suffering for all remaining survivors such as fish and crustaeceans.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ckline
Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies
Views
Bowbie
  • Question
Replies