My Aqueon 30

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Tanman19az, Mar 28, 2010.

1. T

Tanman19az Valued Member Member

So I just took the cover off of my filter and I found that half of the inflow of tank water was going over the wall of the filter and skipping the filter media part and going straight into the biological part of the filter. Hopefully this makes sense. I didnt know how else to explain it. What kind of problems has this caused? Would it be an answer to the nitrite spike I just had? I kinda fixed it by lifting up the filter media insert a little and now it doesn't overflow and bypass going through the carbon filter. I am looking at buying a AC70 for my 29 gallon cuz I'm not really happy with my aqueon filter.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Was it flowing over it because it was set too low in the filter or because it is clogged up ? If it is clogged up take it out and rinse it in used tank water to unclog it.

3. OP
    OP
    T

Tanman19az Valued Member Member

i'll check that out! thanks, never really thought of that

4. ccb04

ccb04 Well Known Member Member

As Butterfly mentioned ... try rinsing the cartridge in used tank water as it's likely clogged.

Pretty much all HOB filters I'm aware of have a bypass mechanism to avoid water literally overflowing out of the filter should the media become too clogged. That's likely what you noticed.

Another thing I've done with the Aqueon filters is to use Marineland's blue bonded bulk filter pad instead of the cartridge. It filters well ... but doesn't clog as easily as most cartridges do and can be rinsed and re-used multiple times. The Aqueon's plastic bio-holster that the regular cartridge slides into will hold the blue bonded pad in place when cut to size.

Best of luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice