My aquarium 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Videos' started by Ziabis, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Ziabis

ZiabisWell Known MemberMember

Please excuse the poor quality, its a digital camera.
    7 Black Phantom and 5 Glowlight Tetras.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Very nice tank setup.

3. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Thank you. I was disgussing my plants in another thread and I did it. I up rooted the Indica rotala and seperated all the stems. Take a look. The water is a bit cloudy but it looks so much better , I think with the rotala all separate.

Please excuse the bright sunlight...

Attached Files:

4. oscarsbud

I like it a lot. Are you going to use a background? I think the right background would really make everything pop.

5. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Well when I had the aquarium with fake plants I had a background.
    2 Reasons why I don't want to use one.
    Is because its behind my couch and I like to look at it while I am sitting and 2nd wanted
    it to look more natural.

Here is the pic...

Attached Files:

6. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Nice job! Beautiful tank.

What is the critter hiding in the driftwood? :)

Ken

7. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Umm not sure. Inside the driftwood on the right would be floating roots, infront of that is a Black Phantom.
    The large wood on the left are just more phantoms. On the bottom in a row are glowlights...
    I have 7 black phantoms and 5 glowlights and some unsure what kind of snail, seem they came with the plants... I hope they will not harm anything...

I am totally unsure of what to get next. I was thinking of shrimp. I was told that I don't need any algae eaters of any kind since I dont have any, but what would you add to this for scavengers?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  8. Carpe_Diem

Carpe_DiemNew MemberMember

9. oscarsbud

I can totally understand that. My 70 gallon has a scenic background and the 150 has the back painted black and I like that one better. But mine are right up against the wall so I am only looking at them from the front.

10. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

I am wondering if I still have room for more fish?
    29-30G not sure, 1 large black phantom and 6 tiny phantoms with 5 decent size glowligts.
    I want alot more color, what is safe together with the tetras and easy to keep.
    I know this may sound dum, but I am worried if I put to many fish in, that they will feel cluttered and get mad at me for not giving them enough room to move around... How do you feel about shrimp? also the snail that came with the plants are speading fast, how many snail are safe to have?

11. Aquarist

Good morning,

Going by the information provided in your Profile, I would be tempted to add some bottom dwellers, a school of Cory Cats. Six Pygmy Cory's perhaps since they stay smaller than some of the other varieties. Let's get more opinions.

If you have pond snails, it will help to keep the population under control if you do not over feed your fish.

Ken

12. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

I have no clue what type of snail I have, as they seem to have come with the live plants which I had no idea and the store did not tell me to rinse all plants first...

Secondly, you said over feed. How do I know if I over feed? I usually give them between 2-5 min to feed and they do not let any food go uneaten. SO is that over fed?

13. Aquarist

Hello,

If you have a snail population explosion, you'll know you are more than likely over feeding your fish.

Adding enough food that the fish can consume in 2 to 5 minutes can be an awfully lot of food. Each fish only needs to get a couple of bites per day and that's it. If someone misses out, chances are they will be first in line the next morning :).

Fish will continue to eat and eat and eat as long as you are feeding them. They can be little pigs at times. Feed sparingly and your fish should be just fine. I feed all of my fish once a day every day.

Too, I add Garlic Guard to my fishes foods to help boost the fishes immune system:

You can create your own garlic juice from minced garlic:
    "Benefits of garlic:

Purifies blood; detoxifies; lowers cholesterol levels; lowers blood pressure; blood thinner; prevents blood clots; boost immune system; prevents heart disease and strokes; destroys cancer cells; muscle relaxant; antibiotic; antifungal; suppresses growth of tumors
    Using a medium size bulb; peel cloves apart, snip off ends; microwave cloves for 5 to 10 seconds to pop hulls; remove hulls; cut the length of the cloves in thin slices; place in cup of hot (from tap) water; cover, and let sit at room temperature for 12 hrs; mash the cloves and strain for immediate use; refrigerate until needed. good for two to three weeks.
    The longer the cloves soak, the stronger the solution."

The information above comes from the link below:

Storing Fresh Garlic:

Too, you can use garlic juice and the garlic itself from minced garlic in a jar water based, not oil based:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ed-garlic-jar-just-example-those-needing.html

Adding Vita Chem for additional vitamins will aid in your fishes overall health:

Ken

14. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

I will certainly stop feeding them twice a day and for sure cut way back on the food...
    Thank you...

15. Aquarist

Glad to help :)

Keep us posted. I'm sure others will chime in soon with more stocking tips.

Ken

16. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Love your tank! Good job!
    I agree a group of small corys would be perfect for your tank.
    Yep fish will continue to eat as long as you feed them. The problem with that being the more you feed the more waste they produce and this along with any uneaten food can cause a snail population explosion.

A few snails are good for your tank but you don't want to be covered up and the snails that come in with your plants usually multiply very fast if there's over feeding going on. You might want to pick out any you see until you figure out how fast their going to multiply.

Mean time enjoy your tank and know you've done a good job on it.
    Carol

17. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Well I'll tell you... Within the last week they went from 2, now over 10. Eekk.. Should I start picking some out?

What is a good # to keep them at, 2-6ish? I have no idea....

As for Corys I would like colour. so what would be a good type and what about any top swimmers, ie: guppies, swords. Again I want alot more colour?

18. oscarsbud

Albino cories would look really good with your dark substrate. I don't know about the amount of snails. I have about a bazillion. Not really, but I do have quite a few. They seem to reproduce like rabbits and then die off. So I must go on overfeeding sprees. They don't bother me. I kind of like watching the little guys crawl all over the tanks.

When I want to get rid of a lot of them, I will put down a piece of zucchini or lettuce and leave it overnight. It is usually covered in the morning and then I pick it out and throw them out.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  19. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

for a 29G how many would be proper, and I understand that if you dont have enough in a school they can go beserk?

Also it seems no one is suggesting any more normal fish, does that mean I have enough? I really would like some bight colours. QUOTE and what about any top swimmers, ie: guppies, swords. Again I want alot more colour?

20. oscarsbud

For cories, they like to be in a school of at least 6. As far as top swimmers go, I really can't help you. I am kind of hit and miss in that department myself :confused:. I still haven't gotten the stocked/overstocked part down exactly. That's why I try to keep mine understocked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice