My 'aquarium Stocking Level' Is.... Funny

1. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

248%....According to AqAdvisor which I just used for the first time.
    I knew I was overstocked but OOPS. lol...My filtration is at 16% as well...yikes...and I don't do massive weekly W/C like I should...time to go filter shopppingggg! :D

I mean, with all this info in mind, its surprising all my fish haven't gotten sick and died yet. (they all look really healthy, surprisingly) I should probably go do a w/c now instead of posting on here, huh...

I just thought the number was pretty dumbfounding and...I know overstocking a tank isn't anything to laugh about but....I kind-of found it funny, maybe more ironic that I didn't think it was that bad to begin with. I suppose i did intend for my oscar and severum to be temporary in my 75, but yeah...248% is still too much for temporary....ugh. lol....

Off to do a water-change. Or two...lol...

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

What is your stock

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Well...if your ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0ppm at all times, then your filter is doing it's job. And so long as you are keeping your nitrates under 20ppm, then you are doing often enough/large enough water changes. You may still be severely overstocked. Also, as your fish grow and start producing a higher bioload, you may find that your current filter cannot keep ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm.

4. OP
    OP
    FishGirl38

DO YOU REALLY WANNA KNOW?!? lol.....

I have...:
    1 Oscar (temporary)
    1 Severum (temporary)
    2 jelly bean parrots
    2 geophagus: 1 winemilleri and 1 surenamsis
    Firemouth Meeki
    Salvini
    Marble Sailfin Pleco
    Common Pleco
    5 *gulp* convict cichlids (2 pink, 3 blue)...yeah, 2 pairs and one i couldn't catch to donate...
    aaannnndddd
    A crayfish that I stuck in there to hang out until my oscar finds him...

Yeeesss, I know I made an oopsie. I know how big all of these fish are going to get, I did not intend to keep them all in a 75G for their entire lives. I actually work at an LFS, and was going to donate my big guys back to the store when they get too big for me to house.

I had about 25 convicts in a 45G that I've already donated back to the store, I started with 2 for $.99....why oh why did I buy that pair of convicts for $.99...I literally have 75 of them growing out in a 20L...Now I've given up on saving the babies, I'm just letting the fish/parents eat em. I can't save them anymore and they're so common. lol..

Okay, with that being said, I'm seriously going to take a break from here and go do a w/c. They need it.

I was thinking this...Usually I do w/c by what my test kit tells me. My mother swears by the filter, I personally wouldn't mind adding an AC110 onto the back of the tank as a precautionary measure for when they do get larger (my oscar is going on 6in in 4 months....my severum is a good 4 inch all the way around in diameter) ..It'd cost me $50 with my discount and for the tank with the oscar in it....like, that filter could be dedicated to the oscar he's so messy. I'm not surprised...I suppose I shouldn't freak out, if everything is testing right than I'm fine, but yeah, I knew I was overstocked and that was a wake-up to exactly how much...lol.

5. Lacey D

Lacey D Well Known Member Member

Growing them out for the lfs sounds like a smart plan...but yes, that probably is too many. Look into Old Tank Syndrome before jumping into huge water changes, just to make sure that you don't run the risk of throwing everything WAY off:
    Hopefully this doesn't apply to your set-up, but...

6. OP
    OP
    FishGirl38

I've wondered what old tank syndrome was, so thank you for that. I was thinking it was similar to what it actually is.

I've included some pictures of my tank because why not.

I really like my mopani wood...

Attached Files: