My Aquarium Setup

1. thumos Member Member

Hi all,

I have attached a picture of my aquarium:
    IMG_0239 (1280x960).jpg
    Is it not packed enough?
    I ask because my clown pleco will NOT come out of that log on the right for anything. Even when cleaning the log! I have to leave the log in there because he won't let go!

I have heard of shy fish but I feel this is ridiculous.
    Other than that rant, should I add more plants in here?
    Is the gravel depth adequate?

I have 2 angels in there, 1 bloodfin (sole survivor), 5 other tetras that look like they could be red Columbian, 3 male guppies, and some ghost and amano shrimp in my 29 gallon.

Those are all real plants and driftwood. The logs are fake.

My filter is the aquaclear 70 power filter.

I keep the tank at 78F.
    I feed them flakes everyday except for every third day when it's bloodworms.
    I toss in veggies like broccoli stems and zucchini and sweet potatoe for the pleco but God only knows what he's eating. I also drop in a cat skelter at night.
    I do water changes every 1 to 2 weeks now since I bought the Aquarium gravel cleaner chemical.
    I use the python for water changes.

Any comments on my aquarium? On my care
    Should I do something different?
    Seems fine? Over stocked?

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

How long have you had the Pleco? He could just be getting used to his surroundings.

3. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Perhaps spread the plants out a little and add a few foreground plants to add a bit of depth to the display.

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Also I must say I enjoy the design you've made. Is your tank generally viewed from both sides throughout the day?

5. thumos Member Member

Thank you. I placed the aquarium on the pass-through from the kitchen to the living room. So we can see it from both sides.

6. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yeah that makes sense, normally I would put tall plants at the edge of the tank, of course the back edge and sides, but I figured you could see it from both sides, so having them in the middle makes sense.

7. thumos Member Member

I have had the pleco for about 3 weeks now.
    I am half tempted to buy something else as I am not sure if he is even doing his algae eating job. For all I know, it could be shrimp doing all the work.
    Why waste precious bio-load on a fish I never see?

I just decided to add some nerite snails! Off the to the LFS!!!!

8. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

It's a huge misconception that plecos will eat algae. They graze on it, but it's not a substantial part of their diet. Clowns love wood, wafers, and blanched veggies.

9. thumos Member Member

I know.
    I feed him broccoli stems, sweet potato and zuccihini as well as cat skelter.
    He also has the driftwood in there.
    Does not change the fact that I never see him so can't confirm his well being.

10. Katiec90 Member Member

My i didnt see my pleco for a couple days until he finally realized there were algae wafers lol

11. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I usually say that if fish need to eat they'll eat and he's probably doing it when you're not looking, but I don't know, fish are weird sometimes lol