My aquarium plants are decaying

FishOverseer909

So I had healthy hygrophilia corymbosa, 5 jungle vals, and 3 hydrocoytle japan which were all growing plentifully and quickly but in the past month their health has just dropped they've been decaying slowly but since I've let it continue for this long I've lost a few jungle vals and one of my hydrocoytles now normally I'd chalk this up as a phosphate spike but I have four anubias and four crypt wendtiis who are continuing to grow healthily so I dont know what the problem is.

gray_matter16

what are your tank's light, co2, and substrate situations?

FishOverseer909

what are your tank's light, co2, and substrate situations?
The substrate is just gravel my lighting is moderate and I don't use co2 canisters

emberopal

Do you use any fertilizers? Liquid or root tabs?

gray_matter16

The substrate is just gravel my lighting is moderate and I don't use co2 canisters
I guess I'm trying to get more specific so we can see what may be the problem or rule out non issues. For example, what kind of gravel? There are a ton of types of substrate. Is it large rocky gravel? Or small fine gravel? Jungel val probably won't do it's greatest in large rocky gravel. Are there any fertilizers in the gravel?

What kind of light? And how long are the lights on? If it's the out of the box light you got with your aquarium, it could be too dim of a light. If you only leave your light on for 4 hours, it may not be on long enough. If the light is 3 feet above your aquarium, the light may not be getting to the plants intensely enough.

You don't need co2, but it definitely help and can impact for better or worse. If you plants came from a tank that had co2 rich water, then your plants are probably just acclimating to the no co2. If you're going with no co2 long-term, it's normally recommended to have deeper substrate, I believe that's a walstaad method.

Cherryshrimp420

Probably just ran out of nutrients. With those weeds in low tech tanks they will grow like crazy and then die off. The slow growers like anubias & crypts will survive for years and years but the weeds will re-adjust to an equilibrium with the light and nutrient conditions of the tank.

Id look into potassium dosing and possibly iron dosing

FishOverseer909

I guess I'm trying to get more specific so we can see what may be the problem or rule out non issues. For example, what kind of gravel? There are a ton of types of substrate. Is it large rocky gravel? Or small fine gravel? Jungel val probably won't do it's greatest in large rocky gravel. Are there any fertilizers in the gravel?

What kind of light? And how long are the lights on? If it's the out of the box light you got with your aquarium, it could be too dim of a light. If you only leave your light on for 4 hours, it may not be on long enough. If the light is 3 feet above your aquarium, the light may not be getting to the plants intensely enough.

You don't need co2, but it definitely help and can impact for better or worse. If you plants came from a tank that had co2 rich water, then your plants are probably just acclimating to the no co2. If you're going with no co2 long-term, it's normally recommended to have deeper substrate, I believe that's a walstaad method.
My gravel is on the larger side and I use a hood lamp which I leave on for 7 hours a day. And though I don't use a fertilizer but I do use seachem flourish.

Cherryshrimp420

My gravel is on the larger side and I use a hood lamp which I leave on for 7 hours a day. And though I don't use a fertilizer but I do use seachem flourish.

Is it an LED lamp?

DuaneV

Flourish, in my opinion and experience, doesnt do much (if anything). Potassium and Iron should make a difference. The Hygrophila and Val will do well with root tabs too.

Hydrocotyle Japan, in my experience, is a TOUGH plant to grow. Without good light, good fertilization and CO2 injection, they really wont do well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dennis57
Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies
Views
yegben
Replies
Views