My Aquaclear filter stopped working, but it's fairly new??

ZeldaNerd
Hello all! I was adding some new driftwood, rocks, rearranging and such in my cycling 20-gallon tank (which when I checked parameters looks to be almost done cycling *insert happy dance*!!! ), ad my Aquaclear 20 gallon hang on back filter all of a sudden stopped. I've had this happen once or twice before, but I just unplug it and plug it back in and all seems fine after that. But it's been about 30 minutes now and it's still not running. It just has the started bio-media in the filter (which also I was presently surprised with when the filter came, it includes carbon, sponge, and just some bio rings). I've unplugged it and plugged it back in, rinsed the filter media a bit to un-gunk it, but nothing worked. The only things I can think would've caused this would be the bristles of my hornwort have clogged it or some bladder snails. But I have a filter sponge on the intake tube of the filter as well. I looked around and saw no snails and not that many thistles inside the filter itself, I'm just not sure. There's no fish in the tank right now, and if the bladder snails die well then I might just have me a party (I'm not overrun, but there's a couple for sure), there's just live plants in the tank. I also have a sponge filter that's running as well, so I'm not too worried about filtration rn in my tank. Both the sponge and HOB Aquaclear have been running for about a month and a 1/2 (nearing two, just my rough estimates). Does anyone know what could be going wrong??

BigManAquatics
Take the impeller out and clean it off. It's a start. All it takes is a stray strand of hair or two to bind it up.

jtjgg
take the whole filter out and over to the sink or bath tub. remove the motor housing. remove the impeller, take a q tip or cotton swab and clean the inside of the motor housing. clean the impeller. rinse the impeller and motor housing. place the impeller back in the motor housing. plug it in to test.

Tezzy
I have two aquaclears and they do this all the time. As suggested, removing and degunking the impeller always works for me. Just to add - make sure you don’t clean *too much*. I replaced my foam layer and did a degunking of my 50 a couple weeks ago, and I’m still battling through a mini cycle.

ZeldaNerd
Thank you everyone for y'all's responses, I think I'll break it apart and de-gunk any clogged parts, but I will make sure to be extra careful with the media and cleaning to protect the BB

GuppyGal7
Since it's new, it should be under warranty, right? Ask to get it replaced at whatever shop you got it from. You could probably keep your mature media and replace the rest of the filter. If you received a faulty filter, you can exchange it.

ZeldaNerd
Since it's new, it should be under warranty, right? Ask to get it replaced at whatever shop you got it from. You could probably keep your mature media and replace the rest of the filter. If you received a faulty filter, you can exchange it.
That's a very good idea, the product does have a lifetime warranty (I didn't even think of that lol)! I'm going to try to check it out in the morning and see if I can get it up and running again, but if not I'll contact the manufacturer, thank you for the tip!

MoshJosh
I used to manually turn the impeller a few times with a kabob stick when it stopped working. . . probably not text book, but it would start working after that.

ZeldaNerd
Hi all, I just wanted to thank everyone again for your suggestions and help! I slightly cleaned it and took the filter apart and now it's running as smoothly as ever (to my great relief as I need that carbon for tannins lol, my waters looking like sweet tea!)

AndyP
You need to clean the impeller and lubricate the shaft.

I use SuperLube food safe silicone lubricant on the impeller shaft and the o-ring on the motor. Put a dab on the bottom of the impeller, drop it on the shaft, and then slide it up and down a few times, and things should be nice and lubed.

The shaft is removable and should be periodically replaced. DO NOT remove it, unless you plan to replace it, because grabbing it with a wrench and pulling it will damage it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Littlebudda
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aquariumlover1357
Replies
Views
Amynnas
Replies