My Aqua Clear 70 filter...

1. Fish Guy Initiate Member

makes a ticking noise when running. The noise is in the motor part and is probably the impeller causing the noise. So does anyone know how to stop the noise?

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds like you have a bit of trash in the impeller. Taking it out and rinsing it and the well where it seats should take care of your problem. Remember to rinse with used tank water or clean dechlorinated water.
    Carol

3. Fish Guy Initiate Member

Started to happen after I cleaned it.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

. Maybe it didn't seat all the way in.
    Carol

5. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

mine used to make noise. make sure the tube is all the way down. also make sure there is not a crack in the impeller.

6. Tropical Aquarist Member Member

maybe when you cleaned it, you might have slightly bent the impeller or impeller shaft, and when it spins it vibrates against something? I don't know I just guessed.

7. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Though I love my aqauclear, I think all the above answers may be correct. It is mag driven so seating it properly is a must. Secondly look at the magnets with a flashlight, just to make sure things are nice and round, no trash, no portrusions, broken magnets, etc... Mine will tick if it's not seated correctly, or if there is a tiny bit of trash inside. That causes it to wobble hence the tick.

Hope this helps!

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. Fish Guy. Sorry to hear your filter isn't as quiet as it should be. Some great tips above.
    Anytime I clean my impellers and before I return it to the slot I like to give it a coating of Nova Aqua+ which is what I use for slime coating my fish. (your chemical of choice for adding slime coat would suffice) It acts as a lubricant for the impeller. It may help your problem or it may not.
    Best of luck and I hope you resolve the problem soon.
    Ken