My Apistogramma Cacatuoides breeding

Baasy

I've had 1 male & 3 female apistogramma cacatuoides double reds, my females are coloured up but I think the male isn't intrested, the females shoe to him but he just swims away,intact he only really shows intrest to the on that doesn't show intrest to him??
The largest dominant female is guarding a cave just not,I saw her fanning the roof of the cave,has been for 3-4 days but tonight she's out for quitecabit,hope she hasn't eaten her eggs, she always comes out to display to the male when he passes bug I think he's not that intrested in her, should I get another male to see if that makes him claim his girls?
I've had them only 3 weeks or so...

Flyfisha

Hi Bassy
You may get more replies if you start your own thread. ?
I can say I have a few tanks with ONE species of apistogramma where the dancing and cave sitting has gone on for months before any eggs appear. I have had limited success breeding a couple of species.

I would continue feeding live foods to the tank.
I have my own opinion on letting a tank be stable for weeks without adding new fish or moving ornaments/ caves etc around.

In my local club and general local breeding “ experts” suggestion is we work with just pairs per tank with the few species available in Australia.

Do you have another tank to remove non pair fish to should a female become aggressive ?
Do you have live fry food cultures running?
I am asking because it’s a stressful situation for the humans involved.

yukondog

One thing I have learned with breeding apisto's is if something is not working right, change it, sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest difference
1) Is it possible to keep the fries in the current community tank
Some may survive but depending
on what other fish you have.
2) when will be a suitable time to catch the fries out to rear in another tank? Is it possible to transfer them when they are still in wigging form?
Wiggler's probably not.
I will normally remove fry after about 4-6 weeks if I dont use there tank as a grow out tank.
3)Currently i had an algae boom since placing in some root tabs, I really want to do a water change. Is it ok to do a 50% WC now?
I would do a couple of smaller ones instead of a large one. Good luck

FishDin

When I kept them, I raised the fry in the community tank with their parents. I wasn't trying to breed them and I had no interest in raising the fry to trade or sell. There was no threat from the other fish in the tank and I enjoyed watching the parenting process. I don't know how many I lost, but most of them grew to adults. I don't think that my tank was typical though. I had several males and they would hang out and swim together. I never witnessed arrgession between them. The only fry I saw them eat were plecos. They would wait at the cave entrance and pick them off as they emerged. I still ended up with way too many BNP though...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FreshwaterCole
Replies
Views
ktorg
Replies
Views
ktorg
Replies