My angle seems to be sick....

princeangle

Reaction score
I have an Angle that is about 10 to 11 mo. old. It is very listless, doesn't seem to eat, mouth moving all the time as if gasping for air (not at the surface), and a hole at the bottom middle of its dorsal fin. It appears to be thru the fin since I cannot see any flesh exposed. There is a light spot above the hole on the same fin but it is not a hole. I don't see any other spots so I don't think it is Itch. Any ideas? I have removed it from my display tank and placed it in a hospital tank. None of my other 15 Angles, 2 Bala sharks, 5 red eye tetra's or pleco is having any problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

JP

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Try and feed it medicated food if you can just in case it has some sort of parasite. This could also help if it's some sort of internal bacterial infection. It's a lot harder to treat fish when they quit eating, and you have less time to figure out what's wrong with them.

I would treat the hole in the fin as finrot, and treat with maracyn I & II. Some of the others here on FishLore have had success with the jungle fungus treatment which sounds like it's easier to use and probably cheaper.

P.S. Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When my Otos had finrot I had no success with Maracyn II, but Jungle Fungus Clear tank buddies worked very well. However, I didn't use the two Maracyns together so that may be why it wasn't as effective. Yes, the Jungle stuff is cheaper and easier, at least that's what I found. Try turning the temp up to 82, going up only 1-2 degrees per day, to help with the healing. What are your nitrate readings?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom