?

What Should I do?

1. Shall i leave them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Shall i seperate them

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. I recently got 10 young angelfish in my 40 gallon tank. Before I got those i had a koi angelfisg which is about the same size and I also have a Platinum angelfish which is more than double their size.I know that angelfish are aggressive but the Platinum angelfish keeps chasing the young ones but he doesn't bite them or anything and he chases them in every part of the tank not just in one part.(The platinum angel is on the right. Sorry for the unclear photo) 20170712_143646.jpg

I just setup my 40gallon tank and i put 11 young angelfish which are about 3 months old and one medium sized platinum angelfish.I was thinking that therw might be too many fish in this tank.

2. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

While growing them out a little longer should be fine, you will have to rehome most of them along the way. There is virtually no way 12 adult angels will be able to coincide together in a 40g.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed. In a 40 gal breeder, I would plan on only keeping an adult pair. You'll notice them start to pair off and become aggressive to other angels in the next few weeks/months. When this happens, choose your pair to keep and rehome the other 10 angels.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What are your plans for all these angels, are you hoping that pairs will form?

And what are the dimensions of that tank?

5. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

The tank is over stocked, but it may work for a while though it could also stunt their growth. If the platinum is not used to having other angels around then it will attack. I found one way to fix this is to separate the aggressive one for a day or two and then reintroduce it to the tank.

6. vin Well Known Member Member

I agree with TexasDomer...I would also add that you make sure you have somewhere to rehome the other Angels down the road when the time comes. Most fish stores will not take fish back or take fish in and many fish keepers just don't have the extra room to house Angels on top of their existing stock.

7. I don't think they can pair off for now cause they're only the size of a coin (The young ones)

Ok Thanks

For now im just trying to grow them so they pair up

Dimenions : 60×50×55cm

8. vin Well Known Member Member

They're overstressed. Highly territorial and aggressive. They're looking for places to call their own and there's just not enough room for everyone at the inn.

9. Dimensioms
    Dimensions *

10. vin Well Known Member Member

Are you confident that you have equal numbers of males & females? Because males in particular will not pair with males and will be aggressive toward one another as they try to establish territory.

11. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That's basically a cube shaped tank. I wouldn't try this in this kind of tank because the footprint isn't big enough for them to be able to get away from each other.

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Based on your other thread, this tank is a cube with only 60 cm length. I don't think this tank is big enough for 12 juvie angels, nor is it big enough for an adult angel pair, in my opinion.

13. vin Well Known Member Member

I agree with @Aquaphobia 100%. The tank is not nearly large enough for all of these guys. They need separation where they're not butting heads over turf.

14. I
    For now i have no idea which are males and which are females because the young ones didn't mature yet.

It's 165litres which is about 40 gallons

15. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Even as adults, you won't know for sure unless you see the breeding tubes.

As mentioned, this tank really isn't even big enough for a single pair of angels. It's a little short in length.

Right, and while the volume is good, the tank length is not. It's not just about volume, it's about length as well.

16. Thanks for your help

17. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

If it's a cube though, the diagonal is almost 36"...

18. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

But that's a very short amount of space with that length. You could say the tank also has areas that are only 2" long.

19. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I was just comparing that length vs a 29g, which has a shorter diagonal. Surely the extra depth must count for something.

Regardless though, certainly wouldn't keep more than one or a pair!

20. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A 29 gal has a 12" wide space of 30" across, so in my opinion, it's not comparable.