My angelfish is not growing

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by raptorsvt79, Dec 10, 2012.

1. raptorsvt79

raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

i bought four small angels a few months ago, and three are growing, but one of them is still small...is there a reason for this?

2. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Maybe birth defect is it getting enough food or being picked on?

3. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

it eats fine...it rarely get picked on...who knows..

4. M

MMJ Valued Member Member

I think you must provide it with variety of fish food than using a same fish food...

5. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

What exactly are you feeding them?
    Some may simply be slower to develop.

6. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

i feed them omega one flakes, omega one pellets, and freeze dried worms.

7. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I see in your profile that the 4 Angels are in the 29g along with other fish....is that current?

I'm going to guess that the 4 Angels aren't growing because that tank is to small for them. I think they've become stunted in growth. keeping them in that tank for a couple of weeks is fine but a couple of months is a different story.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  8. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

i got them small, to see if i can get a pair...three of them are growing normally but one of them has not.

9. b

backflipfronflip Well Known Member Member

+1 on Amazonpassion

What size of tank are they in currently and how long have they been in that tank for? If they are in a 29g tank then it is likely that they are stunted as the tank is a large amount too small.

10. Eienna

It does sound like that one is simply the first to have been affected. 29g is absolute minimum for ONE pair.

11. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

so it was a bad idea to get four to get a pair then...ok...will have to rehome then...thanks

12. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

A 29 gallon is on the smaller size for 4 angels but shouldn't be the reason that one specific fish isnt growing what is the size difference in the 3 fish compared to the small one

13. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

i have two angels that are about the size of a half dollar, one at about a little bigger than a quarter and then the one the size of a nickel.

14. Eienna

I wonder if one of them is getting stunted by an internal parasite infestation? Is it a little thin (hard to tell with angels, I know) by comparison? Any white, stringy poo?
    Your food looks fine, BTW, thought I should mention that. I prefer NLS myself, but Omega One's pretty decent.
    What are your current water parameters?

15. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would remove the one that's not growing. If the others are, then there's obviously something wrong with it.

16. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

the small one eats great....he acts normal...just not growing much....maybe i will be rehoming him

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice