My angel has popeye

Guzalot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After feeding my fish this morning I noticed that my angel was showing signs of popeye. I immediately did a 25% water change, removed the activated carbon and added Malafix. Before the water change my tank readings were:

Nitrates 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrates <5
PH 6.8

I do regular 20 % weekly changes and all my other fish appear in good health. I'm sure I caught it early because the angel has shown no signs of being listless and still has a good appetite. So my questions are: What could have caused the angel to get popeye? Are my other fish in danger? And, am I treating it properly? Any advice is appreciated.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure what could have caused it. Everything looks good. Did you notice any of the other fish stressing your angel? You might want to increase your water changes to twice weekly or 30% to see if that helps keep the angel from getting ill again.

Guzalot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gunnie said:
Not sure what could have caused it. Everything looks good. Did you notice any of the other fish stressing your angel? You might want to increase your water changes to twice weekly or 30% to see if that helps keep the angel from getting ill again.
No, the angel pretty much dominates the tank. I'm at a complete loss as to what might be causing it. I just hope the Melafix does the trick.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope so too! Sometimes they just get sick for no apparent reason.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm sorry to hear about your Angel and I wish you best of luck with it. Keep up the good work with water changes.

Guzalot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I did some research on my own and I found this:

Unilateral exothalamus (popeye in one eye) is often due to external damage (being spined, having a rock fall on it, etc.). This can lead to a bacterial infection, but may not. I have had unilateral exothalamus resolve itself without any meds, and have never seen a beneficial effect of anitbiotics/bacterialcides on unilateral exothalamus. Systemic bacterial infections usually manifest themselves with bilateral exothalamus.
My angel only has it in one eye, so the cause does likely seem to be an injury. She shares the tank with a bristlenose and 3 cories which have spines. It's the best explanation I can find anyway. I think I'll just keep up the Melafix treatments for a week and hopefully it will heal up.

Guzalot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, I've been treating the tank with Melafix and the angel seems to be doing well. No loss of appetite and she's as spunky as ever. The eye is still somewhat inflamed but I'm optimistic.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom