My Angel had an major accident today :(

1. d

deeps21 Valued Member Member

Today for the first time one of my beautiful Angel (mostly 4 month old) entered in one of the clay hollow log which was too small for him/her to enter and got stuck in it. I freaked out to see this poor guy there. Somehow he managed to pass through half of the log and then tried exit from one of the hole on midway but unfortunately he got stuck. When I saw him he was half in and half out and desperately trying to move out. I got shocked to see him then I tried to move the log so that he swims out but he absolutely stuck in the log and there was no way for him to move out himself. Only way I could think of was to puck him inside again and force him to exit from the other end of log. So I literally pushed his mouth inside but again he got stuck inside in 'C' shape body. I hold the log in vertical position so that he move out but he couldn't move a millimeter :( So I ran in kitchen, got one tall spoon and literally pushed Angel from other end of the log using the soft end of spoon. I thought I'm going to kill him but then again I thought I must push him otherwise he will be dead in few minutes in the log.

Once out of the log he was scared to death, he got one wound on the back and his top thick fin got bent. I feel so sorry for him/her. I don't know whether he will recover after this horrific accident or not. He is slowly moving in the tank.

Now I had removed that log from my tank but it was favourate place for my platies and Dwarf Gouramies :(

Is there anything I can do for him to recover from his wounds?

2. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Oh I am so sorry to hear this, I hope your angel does recover. Sending angel wishes your way..................

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Keep his water nice and clean and warm. Treat the tank with stress coat and do 10% water changes to keep things moving along. Adding some vita Chem can help too. I'm sorry that happend. I wish you the best.

4. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Need to keep an eye open for him. He's gotta be in terrible stress right now. I would break the log if I was you at that point when he got stuck. Less stress for him.

5. OP
    OP
    d

Log is so hard, how would you break it in the water?

6. navyscuba

I would brought it to just surface and hit it with something.

7. OP
    OP
    d

Hmm... u smart boy ;)

8. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

Aw! I hope he gets better!

9. navyscuba

That's why I get paid the big bucks hahahahaha :;laughing :whistling:

10. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you both had to go through that. I agree, pristine water, stress coat, and vita-chem will help him heal right up.

You're both in our thoughts and we're sending fishy get well wishes his way.

11. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

12. OP
    OP
    d

I'm at work now.. Just now mom told me he is not swimming actively (as expected) and just remaining near the filter or one of the corner in the tank. One of the other Angle is guarding him non-stop and not allowing any other fish to come near to him (i think they are paired as they never had fight among each other but these 2 were picking my 3rd smaller Angel).

Thanks a lot for support from all of you. I'll try get Stress Coat and Vita Chem asap.

13. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

He's stressed, immune system is probly down, that is a open door for disease, keep an eye out. That's why it's importent to get that Stress Coat and small partial daily water changes, don't want to stress him/her more.

I hope everything turns out OK.

14. genie

genie Well Known Member Member

Another thing to add to all of the good advice... I don't know what your water temp is now, but sometimes raising it to around 84 F can help with disease. Ick especially likes cold water and warmer water has been known to help fish recover (which may be why he is by the heater). I also don't know if this is a possibility with the other fish in your tank. Just a suggestion.

15. OP
    OP
    d

Thanks again.. My water temp is 80F .. I'll now raise it to 82F to help him..

Angle is looking good now, yesterday he did not swim much in the tank but he he ate his dinner very actively yesterday night ad today morning and now he is swimming normal :)

But he lost both of his ventral fins :'( . One went missing yesterday night and other one today morning.. Will it grow again?

16. m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

Oh, how sad! Poor little guy! I hope he feels better soon!

17. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member