Help My Ammonia Won’t Go Down! Please Help

moonyRox

Reaction score
A week ago my ammonia was on zero, which I was pleased about. Now it’s gone all the way up to 3.0, and is different every day. Normally it’s around 2.0. I know this is dangerously high for my 5 platies, but I have tried everything; about four different brands of ammonia remover, more filter bacteria, and 30% water changes every day for a week. What am I doing wrong??

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
How big is the tank and what filter do you have? Do you know the tank's pH?

Bigger water changes are needed because if it's 3 ppm and you change 1/3 that still leaves at least 2 ppm, then it starts creeping back up until the next water change.

Some ammonia products can actually hinder the cycling process. What are you using?

If you can keep ammonia+nitrite at 1 ppm or below you can dose Seachem Prime every day to protect the fish. If not, a combination of water changes and Prime may be your best move.

moonyRox

Reaction score
How big is the tank and what filter do you have? Do you know the tank's pH?

Bigger water changes are needed because if it's 3 ppm and you change 1/3 that still leaves at least 2 ppm, then it starts creeping back up until the next water change.

Some ammonia products can actually hinder the cycling process. What are you using?

If you can keep ammonia+nitrite at 1 ppm or below you can dose Seachem Prime every day to protect the fish. If not, a combination of water changes and Prime may be your best move.
Tank size: 10 gallons
Filter: I’m not sure but it has two sponges and carbon
PH: 7.0
General hardness: 170
Carbonate hardness: 80
Nitrite: 5
Nitrate: 80

Also the Ammonia product I am using is called Interpet Ammonia Remover

Last edited by a moderator:

johnbirg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't worry,
There is a member on here who's busy writing you a book and it will take a little while to finish it. Lol. But seriously just follow @JenC's advice and you should be okay.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that product. I don't know what it does to ammonia.

In short, the tank probably wasn't cycled to handle the bioload of five platies. They're little poop machines.

Luckily, the low pH is making the ammonia not as toxic but the nitrite level may kill them. Nitrates are arguably higher than desired as well.

To address the immediate issue I would change all the water, dose the whole tank with Prime, and add a bottle of Tetra Safe Start Plus to expedite the cycle. (Shake it really hard first, use the whole bottle, and pour it right into the filter.) Then control ammonia and nitrites with a daily Prime dose, doing water changes as needed to keep their total under 1 ppm. That's just what I'd do attempting a quick fix. There are other options.

moonyRox

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that product. I don't know what it does to ammonia.

In short, the tank probably wasn't cycled to handle the bioload of five platies. They're little poop machines.

Luckily, the low pH is making the ammonia not as toxic but the nitrite level may kill them. Nitrates are arguably higher than desired as well.

To address the immediate issue I would change all the water, dose the whole tank with Prime, and add a bottle of Tetra Safe Start Plus to expedite the cycle. (Shake it really hard first, use the whole bottle, and pour it right into the filter.) Then control ammonia and nitrites with a daily Prime dose, doing water changes as needed to keep their total under 1 ppm. That's just what I'd do attempting a quick fix. There are other options.
Ok. I’m sorry I didn’t say this earlier, but my tank is also in the middle of a bacterial bloom, and I’ve been told not to change the water until it clears because all it does is give the bacteria more nutrients to grow even more

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok. I’m sorry I didn’t say this earlier, but my tank is also in the middle of a bacterial bloom, and I’ve been told not to change the water until it clears because all it does is give the bacteria more nutrients to grow even more
Removing toxins that can kill the fish should be the priority. Bacterial bloom is common in new tanks and should resolve itself with time. It's harmless, just unsightly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom