20 Gallon Tank My ammonia isn't going down????

Okay so I started cycling my tank about two weeks ago with some slow growing plants and three guppies. At the end of that week I finally started seeing 0ppm ammonia and nitrite. Two days after I got three more guppies, initially only planned to get one male but saw females I really wanted so got them too. Now fastforward to like 4 days later and my ammonia just doesn't wanna go down. It's just staying at 0.25ppm or maybe less but not 0 and definitely not more. Last night I tested the water and got the same .25ppm ammonia, always 0 nitrites and about 5 or less ppm nitrates so I did a 50% water change but fell asleep before I could test the water again. This afternoon once I could I tested the water again and saw the same parameters so did pretty much another 50% water change. Two hours after I check again and the ammonia is still the same. This is the same color from the ammonia test I've been getting and I'm sure it's not a faulty kit because I tested my tap water for the water change after putting some conditioner in the water and it came out 0ppm. The first pic is the tap water parameters and the second is the tank's. I wanna know if I'm doing something wrong. I didn't feed my fish two days ago, gave them a sparse amount of bug bites yesterday right before the water change. Today gave them like one flake to share which disappeared in like 5 seconds. Their bellies are still plump so I know they're not dying starving and they seem fine, just constantly looking for food more than usual lol. I got some water sprite so maybe that will help with the issue? Or what do I need to do?

Attachments

• E6E549F9-5EC3-49D4-A48D-57BA03D9CB06.jpeg
    E6E549F9-5EC3-49D4-A48D-57BA03D9CB06.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 2
  • A4A0B24F-FC40-4349-8ADB-9FB11EA35B3F.jpeg
    A4A0B24F-FC40-4349-8ADB-9FB11EA35B3F.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2
Solution
Have you tested your pH level? If so, what is it?

If you can, I’d suggest using Seachem Prime instead of API, at least until your tank is fully cycled. Prime will help protect your fish from small amounts of ammonia and nitrites.

If you use Prime, test daily and do water changes to keep the combined level of ammonia and nitrites below 0.50 ppm, your fish will be fine.
Yes it's at 7.2 and sadly I can't get seachem prime now, many people have suggested it but I can't buy it yet. I test daily already but oh so as long as it's below 0.5 then I'll be fine? Is it 0.5 and below or only below 0.5? Can I still feed my fish daily? Maybe once a day sparsely?
Gotta ask, do you have any plants? Establishing rooted plants can really...
Also, adding a group a fish can throw the cycle off.

Example, if you have enough bacteria to break down x ammonia then you add 3 fish. So now you have x+3 ammonia but only enough bacteria for x.

If your ammonia isn't going off the charts, you may just need some more time or bacteria boosters, like stability.

Unless you used seeded media from an established tank, I doubt your tank was fully cycled after 2 weeks. So I don’t think the other fish you added put the tank into a mini-cycle.

I’d guess you have another 2 - 4 weeks until your tank is fully cycled. What is the highest level of ammonia and nitrites you’ve seen?

What are you using as a water conditioner?

Unless you used seeded media from an established tank, I doubt your tank was fully cycled after 2 weeks. So I don’t think the other fish you added put the tank into a mini-cycle.

I’d guess you have another 2 - 4 weeks until your tank is fully cycled. What is the highest level of ammonia and nitrites you’ve seen?

What are you using as a water conditioner?
Highest level of ammmonia has been the same 0.25ppm and of nitrites was about 0.5 and the nitrites was when I just added the new fish, it's been 0ppm ever since. Is it okay at 0.25? I'd started weeks ago but the two guppies died from ammonia before my test kit arrived which I know was a big dumb mistake, even got me to cry about my stupidity, but that's why it has me paranoid and scared. And I use the API water conditioner.

Highest level of ammmonia has been the same 0.25ppm and of nitrites was about 0.5 and the nitrites was when I just added the new fish, it's been 0ppm ever since. Is it okay at 0.25? I'd started weeks ago but the two guppies died from ammonia before my test kit arrived which I know was a big dumb mistake, even got me to cry about my stupidity, but that's why it has me paranoid and scared. And I use the API water conditioner.

If you can, I’d suggest using Seachem Prime instead of API, at least until your tank is fully cycled. Prime will help protect your fish from small amounts of ammonia and nitrites.

If you use Prime, test daily and do water changes to keep the combined level of ammonia and nitrites below 0.50 ppm, your fish will be fine.

Gotta ask, do you have any plants? Establishing rooted plants can really help buffer a tank from stocking changes, they make sugars to feed bacteria in the substrate around their roots. Not so sure about the science here, of course, but it feels like rooted plants make a little extra bacteria for when you add more fish.

Yes it's at 7.2 and sadly I can't get seachem prime now, many people have suggested it but I can't buy it yet. I test daily already but oh so as long as it's below 0.5 then I'll be fine? Is it 0.5 and below or only below 0.5? Can I still feed my fish daily? Maybe once a day sparsely?
Gotta ask, do you have any plants? Establishing rooted plants can really help buffer a tank from stocking changes, they make sugars to feed bacteria in the substrate around their roots. Not so sure about the science here, of course, but it feels like rooted plants make a little extra bacteria for when you add more fish.
Yes I have plants but they haven't rooted and they're all slow growing rhizome plants so I got some water sprite and I'm going to leave that one floating till I see the roots then I plant it.

Solution

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom