Help My ammonia is 1.0 and i have 0 nitrites and nitrates

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It means you aren’t cycled. Read about the Nitrogen Cycle and how to complete a fish-in cycle. (Click the link)

OP
frogmastertimmy

frogmastertimmy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
UnknownUser said:
It means you aren’t cycled. Read about the Nitrogen Cycle and how to complete a fish-in cycle. (Click the link)
I have had this tank for a few months now and my jumpier of my 3 cats snuck in my room and pushed A BUNCH of food into the tank (guess thats what i get the 1 time i didnt put the lid on). Im still trying to get the grasp on the cycle because to me it just seems so unpredictable to me, even after keeping fish for over a year. From what i read i should be adding seachem prime to detoxify the ammonia and do daily water changes correct? What % of a water change should i do?

kattiq

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would probably do 50% or so and test your water frequently. Ammonia poisoning can happen quick and really hurt your fish if you don't get it under control asap.
Do you have live plants? My nitrates stay close to zero because of them, but usually I think most people have a least some nitrate readings.
Did you test the tank after you treated it with prime?

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So basically, you have a fish in a tank. You have filter media which you want to grow bacteria on. This bacteria is going to eat your ammonia and nitrites, and produce nitrates.

fish waste -> ammonia -> bacteria eats ammonia -> nitrItes -> different bacteria eats nitrItes -> produces nitrAtes -> removed from water changes or plants

If you've had this tank a while, it's possible you ARE cycled, but the fish food that was just dumped in the tank caused an ammonia spike. If this were the case, you are either doing enough water changes to remove ALL the nitrates, or you have live plants that are eating ALL the nitrates, and that's why you aren't seeing any.

Since there is likely fish food still in the tank, do a 50% water change today by vacuuming the gravel and sucking up as much food as possible. Do this tomorrow, too. And the next day. Until you are getting very little to no food while vacuuming. Ammonia toxicity from dumping food in a tank accidentally is what kills fish really fast.

Prime is a conditioner. It removes toxic chlorines and chloramines. Prime is the ONLY conditioner that ALSO binds ammonia up so it is non-toxic to fish for a certain amount of time. This is why we recommend prime if there is an ammonia spike or a tank is cycling. Use prime every time you do a water change.

After you stop getting food back while gravel vacuuming, test the water. The ammonia should steadily decrease to 0 if you are cycled.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom