My American cichlid aquarium

Ouse

20210225_105117.jpg

Just wanted to show my aquarium (sorry if the quality or the glare is bothersome, it's a bright day and I'm using an Android).

There are six cichlids: one red hump geophagus, two green terrors and three pearlscale cichlids (sold under Texas cichlid in Europe.) There is also a pleco as can be seen underneath the driftwood. The fish have been in here since October of 2019.

The tank runs two Fluval 407 external filters with one containing all of the sponges and the other containing all of the media. It formerly had airstones. The light is a Fluval Aquasky 990mm which I keep dimly lit throughout the day (as is in the photo) and before switching off for the night it turns a magenta colour for a while. It's automatic and settings for the light can be changed using an app.

The scape uses natural wood, rocks and sand. The plants are fake but if they were real then the cichlids would uproot them. The flow is too powerful for live plants because it depletes the tank of Co2, which plants need. The fish always move things around and enjoy making hills with the sand.

Every few water changes the scape gets reshuffled to lower aggression between the cichlids. The scape isn't going to stay as it is in the photo.

Do you like it? What are your thoughts about American cichlids?

GlennO

Do you like it? What are your thoughts about American cichlids?

Yes I like your tank a lot and I really like American cichlids. Love their intelligence and personality. Unfortunately quite a few of the Americans that were available when I was younger have been lost in the hobby here since Africans began to be imported and subsequently became more popular.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Yes I like your tank a lot and I really like American cichlids. Love their intelligence and personality. Unfortunately quite a few of the Americans that were available when I was younger have been lost in the hobby here since Africans began to be imported and subsequently became more popular.
I agree. African cichlids are easier to keep than American cichlids simply because of their availability and simplicity of research. When doing research on cichlids I always find out about African cichlids and almost never about my own. I much prefer American cichlids because they are so friendly and interactive, although the same goes for some African cichlid species but to a lower extent. Whenever fish shopping the cichlids at the shop will follow me around.

Upvote 0

A201

Very pretty tank. I've successfully kept Green Terrors (Rivulatus) & Texas Cichlids in the past. They were all fun to keep, but be aware of potential future problems.
Only one male Green Terror & male Texas Cichlid per tank, unless kept in an enormous tank. Multiple males might get along when young, but that harmony fades away as they mature.
The dominant male of both species will eventually kill subordinates. I learned that the hard way.
My biggest male Green Terror grew to 9.5 inches & the male Texas Cichlid was nearly 11 inches when I traded him. Both were beautiful.
American Cichlids are awsome, especially Central Americans, & often have very interactive personalities.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Very pretty tank. I've successfully kept Green Terrors (Rivulatus) & Texas Cichlids in the past. They were all fun to keep, but be aware of potential future problems.
Only one male Green Terror & male Texas Cichlid per tank, unless kept in an enormous tank. Multiple males might get along when young, but that harmony fades away as they mature.
The dominant male of both species will eventually kill subordinates. I learned that the hard way.
My biggest male Green Terror grew to 9.5 inches & the male Texas Cichlid was nearly 11 inches when I traded him. Both were beautiful.
American Cichlids are awsome, especially Central Americans, & often have very interactive personalities.
On two occasions already I’ve woken up to a beaten cichlid. First time it was a large angelfish I use to own and the second time it was another red hump geophagus. Neither survived. I had to euthanise the geo.

If one of the fish falls ill or becomes injured then it will be viewed as a huge target for bullying. It’s a shame; they all get along well until an opportunity for bullying arises.

Upvote 0

A201

Keeping Cichlids is more or less a balancing act. Once equilibrium is achieved & a working fish combination is established, things are great.
Unfortunately cichlid equilibrium is temporary. A new addition, a death or even a reorganized hardscape can really stir things up.
The challenge is what makes keeping Cichlids unique & appealing.
You're off to a really good start. Keep connected to Fishlore.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Keeping Cichlids is more or less a balancing act. Once equilibrium is achieved & a working fish combination is established, things are great.
Unfortunately cichlid equilibrium is temporary. A new addition, a death or even a reorganized hardscape can really stir things up.
The challenge is what makes keeping Cichlids unique & appealing.
You're off to a really good start. Keep connected to Fishlore.
Thanks! Initially I was worried that my aquarium would receive poor reception but it seems that many people are a fan.

Upvote 0

A201

Most members on this site truly try to help & aren't particularly judgmental.

Upvote 0

jmaldo

Initially I was worried that my aquarium would receive poor reception but it seems that many people are a fan.
What's not to like.
As mentioned majority of members are here to learn and sometimes even help, but...
If you run across a rude or judgemental comment. Just click "Ignore". Works for me.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Ouse

Update: the only remaining cichlid out of those is the geophagus. I rehomed the rest because it made for an unsustainable combo.

The tank is rather 70 gallons. I used to think it was 60. It now houses rainbowfish, rainbow cichlids and two angels along with the geo and the pleco. The angels and some of the rainbowfish came from my 30 gallon. Hardscape is much more intricate now.

Stocking is based on the stocking of an LFS worker who has had extreme luck with similar fish. Working much better now.

I have learned so much since this thread was last touched. Thanks for all the support. Beforehand I was poorly educated on cichlids.

Upvote 0

TClare

Update: the only remaining cichlid out of those is the geophagus. I rehomed the rest because it made for an unsustainable combo.

The tank is rather 70 gallons. I used to think it was 60. It now houses rainbowfish, rainbow cichlids and two angels along with the geo and the pleco. The angels and some of the rainbowfish came from my 30 gallon. Hardscape is much more intricate now.

Stocking is based on the stocking of an LFS worker who has had extreme luck with similar fish. Working much better now.

I have learned so much since this thread was last touched. Thanks for all the support. Beforehand I was poorly educated on cichlids.
How about some new photos?

Upvote 0

fallfever

I really love that stocking. Rainbow cichlids are horribly underrated. I have them with angelfish, as well, and they make for a rather dramatic presentation. Personable, too. LFS workers aren't always mindless :)
And I second TClare's pic request. Would love to see it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
Rcslade124

Random Great Thread

New Cichlid Threads

Top Bottom