My Amano turned white

Belshrimp

Hi guys,

One of my 4 Amano Shrimps is not clear but white. He's eating and kinda moving. (hiding now)
But he doesn't look like the others at all.
Water is fine all 0,hard around 150 pH 6 to 7.
The other 3 are happy and growing fine.
It's just this guy kinda smaller then the others and all murky and white.

Attachments

• IMG_20210513_142657.jpg
    IMG_20210513_142657.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 30

Roman96

Probably muscular necrosis. richiep knows more.

Upvote 0

Lmg01

Hi guys,

One of my 4 Amano Shrimps is not clear but white. He's eating and kinda moving. (hiding now)
But he doesn't look like the others at all.
Water is fine all 0,hard around 150 pH 6 to 7.
The other 3 are happy and growing fine.
It's just this guy kinda smaller then the others and all murky and white.

I read online that shrimp can turn white when they are ready to molt. They may also hide when they are ready to molt. You should probably just keep an eye on it. Hopefully it’s fine!

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

They tend to turn white before they molt but yea, that looks more like muscular necrosis to me. Make sure to remove any molts from that shrimp and remove the shrimp immediately when and if it passes. the disease is transmittable

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Amanos change colors for whatever they are eating or doing. If it is still eating and moving around dont worry. :)

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Amanos change colors for whatever they are eating or doing. If it is still eating and moving around dont worry. :)

Yea, to be clear it might just molt and be clear again tomorrow but to be on the safe side make sure to monitor it and be careful with the molts and such

Upvote 0

Belshrimp

YEah, I am thinking he might be getting ready to molt. He is sitting in one spot right now, not moving around too much.
Not sure if I should move him or not....
I don't really have another tank to put him in too anyway. But I wouldn't like my other shrimp or fish to get sick.

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

YEah, I am thinking he might be getting ready to molt. He is sitting in one spot right now, not moving around too much.
Not sure if I should move him or not....
I don't really have another tank to put him in too anyway. But I wouldn't like my other shrimp or fish to get sick.

Well it is normal for them to turn opaque right before molting so I would just monitor. I have one in my tank right now that looks pretty similar. Yours just looks a bit whiter than mine get so I had suspicions at first but now I'm second guessing myself :D

Upvote 0

Belshrimp

Update : he still looks like this. Should I try to take him out? So he won't transfer it to the others?
He looks like he's behaving ok though.

Attachments

• IMG_20210522_094035~2.jpg
    IMG_20210522_094035~2.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Aaaah yea, that looks a lot more like muscular necrosis now, especially if he hasn't molted since 9 days ago when we were talking. I would take him out and put him in another tank. When it dies it should be isolated cus even eating the shed molt or grazing off the body can transmit the disease

Upvote 0

Belshrimp

Thank you, I'll do that. And see what happens with him.
Shame he's sick

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
proletius
Replies
Views
FishyFishybaby
Replies
Views