50 Gallon Tank My almost 50G custom corner and 11 year old shark

Nopsu

I recently joined and been posting around pictures of my tank in random places so I thought I would gather something of a journal here instead.

180L / 47.5G (pH7,7 GH6 KH4) no CO2
Canister + internal filter, 10h lights.

Currently housing my veteran Red tail shark, 11 rummy nose tetra and 3 nerite snails.

Plants 2x Amazon Sword, 4x Anubias barteri, crypt parva front/middle, marsilea hirsuta front/sides, bacoba monnieri 'compact' & hornswort?foxtail? (no idea lol) back/sides

20210427_184828.jpg

More pics attached, also 1 shot of how horrible state my tank was last year :(

Betta'sAnonymous

Thought it looked like a corner tank in an earlier post! Though at that size i usually see the bow for the corner tanks.

Nopsu

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Thought it looked like a corner tank in an earlier post! Though at that size i usually see the bow for the corner tanks.
I bet its really hard to DIY a bow front tho, stand is also custom for this tank. Sadly it does not have a cabinet but atleast its unique

StinkyLoaf

Cool shark! :happy: For a second I thought you meant a real cartilaginous shark like a bamboo shark or reef shark...

I heard that red tails can be very aggressive and predatory. How do you get yours to coexist with the tetras?

Nopsu

StinkyLoaf said:
Cool shark! :happy: For a second I thought you meant a real cartilaginous shark like a bamboo shark or reef shark...

I heard that red tails can be very aggressive and predatory. How do you get yours to coexist with the tetras?
He does not seem to mind the small tetra unless they try going in his cave or taking his wafers :D
He might some rare times take a short speeding dash at the shoal to show who is boss. Generally it has been quite peaceful.
I used to have opaline, cosby and yellow gourami who were about his size. He would often dance with the largest ones but never bothered any small fish.
Shark eating algae wafer..

Nopsu

Yesterday I ordered more plants from my LFS.
2 Cryptocoryne beckettii "Petchii" (crypt plant with red/brown hue)
1 Echinodorus "Reni" (small red/brown sword plant)

Today I made space ready for them, had to add some more gravel to the back/middle area. Moved, trimmed and replanted some of my Bacoba monnieri "compact" and my "carpet" plant Marsilea hirsuta.

20210429_125949.jpg

Nopsu

I have a Canister filter with spray bar attached but ive had it turned against the glass so it kinda defeated the purpose of surface movement. My main problem was the high rim on top of my tank and the spray would be too high on top of water and make horrible noise..

Now I found some of that green tubing my filter used and decided to install the spray bar properly for once.

Adjusted my spray bar to make waves

You might notice the oily scum on the surface, probably from my meat wafers and bad surface movement..

Nopsu

Nopsu said:
Yesterday I ordered more plants from my LFS.
2 Cryptocoryne beckettii "Petchii" (crypt plant with red/brown hue)
1 Echinodorus "Reni" (small red/brown sword plant)
Went to my LFS today and unfortunately they did not have the sword I wanted so I got Echinodorus "Red Diamond" in its place. I wish it does well as it might be a bit more demanding as it's marked medium difficult..

Planted all 3 plants and added each one clay fert stick near the roots.

20210503_172306.jpg

Nopsu

20210509_223511.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom