Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

My Albino Cory's

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Beverley Barker, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Beverley BarkerNew MemberMember

I have just finished cycling my new 130ltr tank where I used filter and some water and substrate from my original smaller tank and water readings are today
    Ph 8
    Nitrate 0.25
    Amonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0

I have 6 glo light tetra
    1 rummy
    4 zebra danio
    4 Black phantoms
    Today I got 3 albino Cory's and I'm not sure if they are behaving the way Cory's should, I thought they would go and scavenge on the bottom but since I put them in the tank they are swimming around like little missiles and haven't yet gone to the bottom of the tank, Is this normal behaviour or are they stressing out?
    I'm relatively new to this and I don't want to cause them harm.

2. fjhWell Known MemberMember

I'm sure they are fine. most likely they are just exploring the new tank and yeah, they probably are a little stressed by the new environment but theyll be fine. If you are really worried then keep the lights off for today and start feeding them tomorrow. Even once theyve settled in though, they will still be one of your most active fish.
    What type of substrate do you have? cories do best in sand and love to sift through it. they also prefer caves to hide in when they arent on a sugar high ;)

3. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Completely normal : get some more !

4. SamanthaljayValued MemberMember

My bronze corys are SUPER active, they love swimming all around and exploring. They are my favorite fish to watch. I would agree with above, they are exploring! checking out their new home.

5. Beverley BarkerNew MemberMember

Ahh Thank you fjh for your quick reply that's put my mind at rest as in the store where I got them they were all on the bottom very quiet, I have very small stone substrate I'm afraid but the chap said it would be OK as long as its not sharp or jagged, I have lots of little stone caves for them and drift wood, only thing is the tank is still slightly cloudy, it's better than it was but it's so irrating not being able to see the the fish to their fullest. iv attached a picture. [ ] 20190301_191502.jpg

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Is the tank completely cycled ?

7. Beverley BarkerNew MemberMember

I can see why you could get attached to these little fish, fascinating..

Thanks Samanthalj I feel better now knowing they are super active, can you mix corys ie albinos with bronzes?

8. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

OMG you're the next Cory-addict.

If the albinos are C.aeneus (most likely) you can mix them with bronze (same species)

9. Beverley BarkerNew MemberMember

It's been just over 6 weeks now and the water went through its ammonia spike then nitrite and now the nitrate has been steady at 0.25 over the last few days, I have been doing 30% water changes and treating with prime and stability, in the store where I go said it was now OK to add more fish slowly over the next weeks, is that right? [ ]

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Only thing is that nitrates should a bit higher than 0.25 I'd say.

11. Beverley BarkerNew MemberMember

Lol.. I haven't taken my eyes off them, my other fish are so sedate, one of them good from one side of the tank to the other literally skimming the top of the water!

Oh ok, I was told that all parameters all but ph should be around 0? What should I be looking for?

12. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Did you use ammonia and that was processed in a certain time?

13. r5n8xaw00Well Known MemberMember

I would wait for a little while before adding new fish, until your cycle is better established. What is the water temperature of your tank? My tank is 75F / 24c
    I ask because I have the same combination of fish, 6 albino cory and six long finned gold danio. Their temperature ranges overlap at the extreme ends.
    albino cory 72F / 22c to 79F / 26c

Danio 64F / 18c to 75F / 24c

I am not sure if it matters much, still working that out, because all these fish are farm raised anyway. So thinking the danio was raised in warm water, not sure though.

14. Beverley BarkerNew MemberMember

No I didn't use amonia just the filter, water and some substrate from my tank I transferred them from.

Its a constant 26C/ 78F, sorry its a bit late re adding fish but I only went on what I was advised by the aquarium centre I use.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2019
  15. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Sorry Beverley, didn't read your initial post that well.

It puzzles me a bit. The filter is the most important part. That should be cycled.
    Ammonia should be zero again (don't understand why you're still testing a bit), nitrites should stay zero and nitrates as endproduct isn't an issue.

Test again tomorrow and let's see.
    Wait buying more fish till these parameters are stabil.

16. SamanthaljayValued MemberMember

they definitely have some personality to them. Mine have discovered that the top of the sponge of my sponge filter is comfier than the bottom of the tank for sleeping. Yesterday morning I saw one sleeping on the sponge, this morning there were 3 LOL

17. Beverley BarkerNew MemberMember

Iv just done another water test and results are :
    PH 7.4
    Nitrite 0
    Amonia 0.25
    Nitrate 30! Yesterday it was about 0.25 0.50
    That's how much it's changed from yesterday nitrates are right up, what should I be looking for in nitrates to say my tank is now cycled?
    Thank you for your help.

18. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Personally I think your test yesterday was false and this one makes more sense.
    Also I expect the tested ammonia is a slight trace of ammonium or a minimum shown at the test.

Last test you could do to be sure the tested nitrates are result of the cycling is to test your tapwater. If that shows a lower level of nitrates (or even zero) that proves the cycling has done its job.

But I am pretty sure it is okay. Especially cause you used the old filter.

One more question : The fish in your profile pic isn't in your tank is it ?

19. Beverley BarkerNew MemberMember

Hi
    Thank you for your help, I have just tested my tap water and this is the result, this is high isn't it? [ ] I always use prime in my water changes. 20190302_103413(0).jpg

20. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

As a man (might be a bit colorblind) does it say 5 ppm ?
    Uhhhhh how did you test 30ppm Mrs. Barker? hahahah