My African Cichlid Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Tezzel, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Tezzel

TezzelNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well my stocking isn't going as planned. I picked up four electric yellows and I am thinking at least three of them are males by the way they interact with each other. Either that or they might be hybrids, though they weren't in the "assorted cichlid" tank. I have three yellow tails...seem to be two males and a female. I chose get only one auratus, that was the fish that got me into cichlids 20 years ago and have never had a problem with their aggressiveness. I always have had at least one in my african tank.
    I've always had bumblebees too so I picked up two for this tank, one hangs out with the yellow tails and the other hangs with one of the electric yellows.
    I didn't plan in adding any kenyi to the tank but the wife saw one she really liked so it came home with us too. It is the smallest in the tank, but took up the prime spot in the tank to call home. He thinks he is the tank boss and can be at times. Until one of the bumblebees has had enough and chases him and takes over the area for a bit.
    So I now have the trifecta of aggressive mbuna housed in my 75 gallon tank. I know passed experience with these fish isn't a guarantee that they do well together this time. So I will be keeping a close eye on them to make sure things don't get too out of hand.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,545
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Very pretty tank. Its so nice to have another African Cichlid keeper in the forum. Most of my Africans are Alunocara & Haps, but I do keep a few White Tail Acei & a Yellow Tail.
    The male White Tail is awsome. A lot of the Yellow Labs currently sold are actually Hybrids labeled Electric Yellows. They don't grow as large and the male's black fin edging isn't quite as bold.
    Weicome to the forum & Keep updating.

3. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +436
    Experience:
    4 years
    Nice! I love my cichlids as well!

4. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,623
    Experience:
    1 year
    Excellent tank.

I just started keeping Africans about 2 months ago, so I'm late getting into the game with them.

Have you considered keeping some synodontis with them? I've got 3 and my cichlids dont even notice them, 1x multipunctatus and 2x dwarf petricolas.

Keep us updated!